Candoia - Rescue and Release in Fiji - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Helenthereef
Candoia - Rescue and Release in Fiji

Here are some photos of a large female Candoia bibroni bibroni (Fiji Boa) found and rescued from a forest area being cleared for development. She was brought in to a conservation organisation here in Suva (the capital) and they called me.

I fought the temptation to keep her - but I already have 8 at home, and I am really trying not to put too many wild animals in boxes - so we photographed her and released her into a safer area.

She's much darker than most Fiji boas - the majority are brown / pinkish. She also has the black belly stripe we are finding is typical of snakes from this island, but not all of them. Hope you enjoy!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
Helenthereef
And here is her moment of freedom!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Iguanagirl8662
She is goregous, I would have be tempted to keep her too but it's nice that she was able to be released.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
Helenthereef
Yeh, I was really tempted - but my partner is my little Green Jimminy Cricket sitting on my shoulder giving me conservation hell.... and I'm sure she's happier out there....

Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Twizted Paths
Beautiful!

She's lucky they brought her to you.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Helenthereef
I'm recognised as the official "Snake Nut" in the city of Suva - so we now have an agreement that if any snakes are brought to them, they'll call.

The biggest problem is that Fijians have watched entirely too many horror movies and are convinced that all snakes are venomous, so they have a horrible habit of either killing them on sight or removing their teeth by putting a stick into the mouth and then dragging it out.

This girl was lucky as her captors didn't do that, but obviously if that is done they can no longer survive alone in the wild, and my collection would increase....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!