Terry Wilkens owner of Captive Born Reptiles recovering from python incident. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:23 AM   #1
Dennis Hultman
Terry Wilkens owner of Captive Born Reptiles recovering from python incident.

Police ID animal store owner crushed by python
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...thon/73396696/

Snippet
Quote:
The owner of a reptile store on Monmouth Street in Newport appears to be recovering after officers pried off a 20-foot python that was wrapped around his head, neck and torso, crushing him on Monday.

Two Newport officers pulled the the 125-pound snake off Terry Wilkens, owner of Captive Born Reptiles, police chief Tom Collins said.

There was blood everywhere and Wilkens was not breathing when officers were trying to free him, Collins said, but he did resume breathing before he was taken to University of Cincinnati Medical Center.

Collins said the victim appears to be doing okay at the hospital and is even talking.

The call came around 11 a.m. and Lt. Gregory Ripberger and Sgt. Daron Armberg were at the store within minutes, Collins said.

"It was only by the grace of God that one of the officers knew how to deal with snakes," Collins said.

Ripberger grabbed the snake by the head and worked to uncurl it off the man's body. Collins and other officers pulled Wilkens by his legs to free him.
More at link.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
JColt
His daughter responding on his facebook page

Quote:
Hello everyone my name is Keiko Wilkins. Many of you know me as the little girl dragging around Smiley the alligator or playing with the large anacondas. Terry Wilkins is my dad and I want to reassure people. First, he is perfectly fine and back to work. The news media exaggerated the extent to which he was injured. He did not almost die or die as people have been saying. Secondly, the inaccurate news articles are spreading like rapid fire and we ask that people ignore them and inform others that they are inaccurate. We all know how the news media likes to exaggerate about everything and make a situation seem ten times worse than it actually is. Lastly, thank you to everyone around the world that has contacted our stores and my family. It is good to know that we have the support of so many from so far away. We thank you so much and it means a lot to know that my father has had an impact on so many people. Please share this and inform others that my father was never in any danger and he is fine. If you have any further questions feel free to message me and I will try to get back to you asap.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
JColt
Another one

Quote:
Keiko Wilkins He was bit on the arm by one of the retics and after getting the snake off, he tripped on a puddle of water and hit his head.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Pasodama
The 911 call, and police radio traffic, can be heard at the following site:
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/...t-reptile-shop
Scroll down, for 911 call, and scroll a little further down for the Police radio traffic.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
JColt
Quote:
For Gary Collins, the "insane" scene inside the shop is burned into his memory.

"I'm shocked -- I'm scarred for life basically," he said.
Oh boy.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!