Fire Skinks Breeding (pic) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-10-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
Jim O
Fire Skinks Breeding (pic)

This was early on in the process. Anybody have any info on incubation should I get any eggs?
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Matt Haines
I have no experience in that department but this is what i pulled from a care sheet.

They take as much as 40 days to hatch and should be incubated in two inches of moist vermiculite at 85 degrees Fahrenheit

Old 10-10-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Rebel Dragons
They look so happy!!!!

Jim the Love Dr. bringing scales and tails together.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #4
South Dixie Dragons
Jim,

what are their personalities like? are they pretty tame?

Old 10-10-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Dixie Dragons
what are their personalities like? are they pretty tame?
These are adult LTC's. I bought a group of four of them (0.0.4, now 1.1.2 ) several months back. They are fairly shy. They stay burrowed in the substrate a lot of the time. I do not handle them much except for cage cleaning and they are flighty. Definitely not what I would call tame, but rather they tolerate handling when necessary.

I did nothing to make this breeding happen and I have little hope that anything will come of it since they were not cycled but if it does that's great.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
Rash
Hey, congrats!

Fire skinks are great fun to keep. You can expect almost continuous production from the females as long as environmental parameters are maintained. There may be a slow down through the winter, but a clutch of 4-6 eggs will be laid every 6-8 weeks.

I had 100% hatch rates at 82F max for 50 days when I was breeding them. The hatchlings are delicate and require careful attention, but they grow fast and feed voraciously. Separate overly aggressive babies as soon as they are detected or you will lose the smaller ones.

The adults usually become quite docile if you try to interact a little, especially at feeding. I started with a pair of skittish WC adults that both calmed down enough to hand feed and pick up without a fuss.

Have fun!

R

Old 05-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
Kat Huny
I'm having a hard time to get my skink to let me hold her
(i think it is a her i checked female before i ordered her from snakes at sunset) are there any suggestions on how i can get her to let me hold her i have had her for maybe 1 month and a week or so?

Old 05-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
JButera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Huny View Post
I'm having a hard time to get my skink to let me hold her
(i think it is a her i checked female before i ordered her from snakes at sunset) are there any suggestions on how i can get her to let me hold her i have had her for maybe 1 month and a week or so?
Let her associate you with food. When she calms down try feeding her with tongs, after that try feeding her by hand; only if you're ok with getting bit. She'll eventually see you as a harmless food provider. Then try picking her up. Btw, this thread is almost 11 years old.