whats your opinion? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
amebathesav47
whats your opinion?

I think its crazy that people can sell gravid savannah monitors to people who have no idea how to care for just one properly! I am refering to the ad in the classifieds section. many people have tried to comment on the ad and the admin told me to start a thread instead of disrupting the ad. so tell me what you think about this mess.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
TailsWithScales
Whether anyone agree with this practice or not it does and will continue to happen until the US adopts some for of licensing system or something to avoid someone buying a reptile they're not ready for. Age doesn't depict experience that's for sure. But huffing and puffing definitely will not help things much simply because you disagree with what one seller is doing. Reptiles are sold daily to someone who has no bloody clue of how to care for them.
Do I agree with it .................... absolutely not. But it happens regardless. Griping about it in the ad however, yes is inappropriate. You don't like it ......... do something about it but be diplomatic. Don't go after one seller.

I firmly admit I've purchased several female gravid ball pythons and have seen monitors imported gravid to where the animal has laid eggs in the bag and yes the female survived and went of to be a great pet to someone.

Going back to your original issue though is no, in my opinion, the animals shouldn't be sold to anyone without the experience but those goes with ANY reptile not just a gravid one plain and simple.

Another question I just thought of is why be so hot blooded over a Bosc being sold gravid when snakes and other lizard species are sold gravid regularly? Why this species???

Old 11-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
amebathesav47
None of it is okay. but Savannah monitors are very misunderstood and are very difficult to breed in captivity. so someone who is not educated in monitors much less egg laying and raising hatchlings is going to get one and not know what to do and more than one monitor will die due to lack of information. Im just weary about people who sell savannah monitors because i was sold a juvenile male that was supposedly dewormed and in very good condition. when he got here he was very scrawny, dehydrated, stressed, and bloated from an imense parasite load. Obviously he was gonna be stressed but the others was no excuse. Im not saying this guys savs are not healthy i just cant truse any breeders cause all they want is money and will say anything to make a sale. (not accusing EVERY one of them just most)

Old 11-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
LauraB
Knowingly selling a gravid anything is not right, IMO ... particularly when shipping is involved.

Knowingly selling a monitor or any other herp that requires specialized husbandry/habitat to an inexperienced keeper is not right.

Plain and very simple.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
SPJ
Personally I think selling any gravid animal is asking for trouble. Egg binding, temp drops, etc all cause issues that are more serious to a gravid animal than a non-gravid one.
Heck, I think only competent (they have to prove that they are competent) should be allowed to buy any monitor species. Too many monitors get neglected and die because the average person has no idea what the sepcialized requirements are. You cannot keep a monitor the same way you keep a corn snake yet a lot of people think you can.
Now add in the fact that monitors are tough to keep along with it being gravid and you are making a recipe for disaster (ie: dead monitor and dead eggs).

Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
TailsWithScales
You may not like me for what I'm about to say Drew and that's fine but I'm not one to beat around the bush with someone to save face or hope I stay on their good side.

That said it almost sounds as though you're upset because of you're being the inexperienced keeper who took in a unhealthy Sav. No shame in that for the most part but that's how I'm receiving your post and it's my understanding of what you have said.

Yes it's wrong selling to anyone inexperienced and by the sound of it, it was wrong of someone to hand over a monitor to you. I'm not trying to be attacking just calling it as I'm seeing it. So now you're possibly upset by this and go on the defensive against Outback Reptiles for their selling of gravid females.

Honestly in 18 years I haven't personally seen an inexperienced keeper take on a gravid animal. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Also you're seeing things one sided I feel. (The next statement IS NOT in defense of any seller) I say it's one sided because you have no bloody clue what animals are being sold to whom. So who are you to say that each and every Bosc is being sold to inexperienced keepers or a single one at all?????
How do you know they are????

Truth is ....................... you don't. Yes they could all be being sold to other breeders or go to someone with limited to zero experience. Wrong or not it doesn't give you the right to call it bad or otherwise of any seller when you do not know who the animal is going to just because of your personal feelings.

Yes it's not good to sell to someone inexperience gravid or not. It's a huge risk on more then one side, especially for the animals. Thankfully there are sites like Fauna to help someone when it happens.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
amebathesav47
Yes I was inexperienced in keeping monitors when I got him but I was not clueless. I know now that I never should have bought an unhealthy animal but I did not know that at the time. I'm just trying to educate newbys on what to look out for. I know a significant amount more about monitors now that I am a member of a few forums. That's what these are for. I just can't agree with the practice of selling gravid females to someone without first educating them on how to set her up and everything else you need know. I'm not saying they for sure don't its just not very likely. As he stated "making money is priority" I'm not mad about what you posted because its all true and I'm not gonna deny it

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!