a little help and info on yellow fungus - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
sjsexotics
a little help and info on yellow fungus

I just rescued a pair of bearded dragons.... first off the female is very gravid and ready to pop. then I was giveing them are soak and cleaning them up before I put them in there new cage. Once I got a good look at them I noticed they have very yellowing of there scales in certian areas and the male all his skin peeled off his back bottom of his foot. now I am guessing they got this from there very dirty walnut shells they were being housed on. but I have not been able to find info about it.
Is it contagous to other dragons, what is the best treatment plan. I have anti biotics on hand and I have been soaking them in betidine solution and I put on an anti fungal cream is that good ?? any info would be great

Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
Tere Salazar
Oh my goodness...that poor baby! He's definitely got something going on. I would continue with the Betadine soaks (like weak tea, but you probably already figured that out), and Lamisil cream, regular strength...the foot and it looks like an area at the base of the tail, as well. I would also get them started on some acidophilis (sp?). You can find it at most health food stores in the refrigerated department.

Paper towels as substrate right now would probably be best, and no crickets left in the enclosure to much on the raw foot.

And yes, IF it's yellow fungus, it is contagious, so keep them away from each other, and away from any other dragons. Oh, and Chlorhexadine also works well for cleansing the skin, and may work well for keeping the enclosure sanitary until this is cleared up.

Good luck with them. Keep us updated on how it goes, and if it gets any worse, definitely get them to a vet.

Do you have a lay bin ready for the female yet? Let me know if you need help with that, and make sure she's getting plenty of calcium.

Thank goodness you found them so they can be taken care of.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
sjsexotics
THANKS for the info. they are on paper towles and I do have a lay bin in her cage she has the same yellow going on but hers is not as bad thank goodness but hers is on her head urrr. sad thing is they are very beautiful dragons and the owner even had the breed info writen down they thought they were doing everything right but well not quite the female is super skinny to so I have been giveing her jump start every day with her soaks but she is ready to pop any time now you can fell a ton of eggs in her and she is huge but with sunkin in head pads poor thing thanks for the help maybe I will get lucky and get some nice babies from them to pay off there vet bill lol there breeding is male pastel sunfire and female the same but she is 6 months younger and he is 3 years old

Old 06-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
Tere Salazar
How are they doing today, Sheena?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
sjsexotics
they are good no eggs yet which I am totally surprised about. They are actually looking almost totally better I have been soaking them for 20 min in betadine and then putting on nystatin cream so I guess that is a winning combo oh and they are on antibiotics too but tomorrow is the last day for that and I am off to arizona for three days and with my luck she will lay when my husband is on dragon duty

Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
Tere Salazar
What are the antibiotics for? Were you able to get some acidophilis yet? The funky stuff could be caused by the antibiotics, and acidophilis will counteract the effects of that by replacing the good gut flora that antibiotics usually wipe out. I don't know how much good it will do now, but it certainly can't hurt.

Something else, if she's gravid and on antibiotics, there is a chance the antibiotics could affect the eggs and the babies inside. You may want to think twice about incubating the eggs, if you were planning on doing that to begin with.

And her sunken fat pads could be a couple of things that I'm aware of, and I'm sure there are others, too...but key things are dehydration, rapid weight loss, and hormonal changes. I was once told that feeding tofu to a female dragon who was either gravid or just laid eggs would help bring the fat pads back up. I don't know if it works or not.

I'm glad they're doing better. I can't wait to see them funky skin free, fat, and happy.

And where are you going to be in AZ? Anywhere near Tucson?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
sjsexotics
ya I believe I am flying into tuson. going for a wedding it is in phenix we will be out there till monday

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!