Advice on MBD - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
westsidedragons
Advice on MBD

I just received a 4 month old bearded dragon from a 15 yr old kid off of craiglist. He wanted 150 for him. I
was willing to pay it, but I noticed it was babying his right front leg(walking with a severe limp).when I noticed it he gave me the bearded dragon. But I never had a BD with MBD before I googled symtoms. This poor BD has a great number of them. I got him to my house fed him some crickets, he don't chase them down like the other 6 I have he waits until they are right near him to try to eat. On top of all this he has a URI (popping/clicking sounds when he breathes). So what should it take to get him normal again. My vet is booked until the first of april.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
angie.h
Poor thing....for the MBD get some calcium gluconate at the drug store and give him a few drops every day. Then, for the best possible UVB, put him in the sun closely supervised for at least 20-30 minutes per day. Even at 60 degress, if you get a dark colored plastic tote and put it in the sun, the tote will absorb the heat [ with the lid off of course] and raise the temp. to 85-90. If it's above 75, put him in a clear tote, the dark ones get too hot at that temp.Be sure he doesn't overheat ! He really needs antibiotics for the resp. infection...but for now, increase the temps. in his cage by about 5 degrees day and night. The night temp. shouldn't fall below 78 until he's better.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
angie.h
The best UVB bulb is the Zoo Med reptisun 10.0. You will need one mounted so that he can get within about 7-8 inches of it. I realize [ concerning my other post ] that not all days are sunny in Ca. this time of year.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
westsidedragons
Ty so much angie, he's in bad shape. Today was raining and blah. Tomorrow looks good hopefully. All my dragons get full sun during spring-summer months(if weather is nice) I just felt real bad for the little guy. I'm just glad that he surrendered him to me. B/c he felt bad to (it was his parents decision). So hopefully in the up coming months he'll perk up.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
westsidedragons
I have liquid calcium (when my females are gravid) will that work.. it's from Bugs delite...

Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
angie.h
Yes, that's great. I just mentioned the drug store brand because for someone who doesn't have any you could jump out and buy immediately instead of ordering it and waiting for delivery.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
westsidedragons
Today he ate 10 3/4 crickets (dusted). Outside was really nice. Tote temp 76 -80 was in it for 30 -45 mins. With the URI haven't seen any saliva or a runny nose so that's good. I went to the store and Noone has reptisun 10.0 only 5.0. How long will it take to get him better from MBD?

Old 03-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Fonzi1289
Depends how bad it is and how long he has had it. I have rescued beardeds from Family members and friends that have had MBD and some got over it quicker than other but all i did was supplement them with as much calcium as possible and had the reptisun UVB 10.0 lights. And when weather was good took them outside to sun bathe and oh did they love that.. They would have a whole diff attitude a few days after living with me! ALso Try the Calcium supplements that have the D3 already in them. Works great for me!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
angie.h
Yes, how quickly [ or in some cases IF ] he recovers depends on how bad it is, and what care is given. What is he acting like ? Are there any lumps on his back, crooked tail, swollen jaw or severe underbite ? How is his mobility ? Some things can't be reversed, but they can be halted and kept from getting worse.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
westsidedragons
None of the above. He's very slugish, it's mainly his right front leg giving him problems.(drags it around) since I've had him his head shakes from side to side. No twitching anywhere else.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!