getting " envenomated " can get you ........ - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2006, 11:35 AM   #101
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
I think the thing with bees, wasps and ants is that they are "immediate pain causing" venoms, and there for do not need the deadly effectiveness of an advanced "killing" neurotoxin. If the pain can drive the attacker away, thee is no need to kill.
Snake venoms however, you can sumize do not always cause pain. Actually, if i remember right, very few (in US) cause any pain at all till advanced stages of the envenomation. So the snake can still be killed, even eaten by the attacker, even if the attacker is bitten. So there would be a natural need for a faster acting, more toxic venom with snakes.
Rick
Perhaps, but we are talking about a Mother Nature who has designed the spines on some lizards to kill a snake that eats one slightly too large when it can't spit it back up because of the orientation of the spines causing it to lodge in the throat. In effect, individuals are designed to die to save the species. If nature "decides" that the most effective way to save a species is by mutating to the point of killing off the main threat (humanity), well things could get interesting.....

Right at this moment, what one influence on this planet is the most threatening to most species existing today?

Old 03-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #102
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave

Right at this moment, what one influence on this planet is the most threatening to most species existing today?
Politicians?

They control the threat of nuclear warfare, as well as biological warfare which may not be species specific.
Of course humanity in general influences many species, tailoring local flora and fauna to suit themselves.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #103
Fangthane
"Right at this moment, what one influence on this planet is the most threatening to most species existing today?"
I think it's human prolificy. As we continue to multiply and take up more space and resources we're constantly squeezing what's left of the wildlife into smaller areas where competition for food and habitat is greatly increased. As we're forcing separate populations of animals to move closer together I think we're setting the stage for hybridization and other adaptations that could be made in an effort to survive in an increasingly harsh world. I think the mutation or evolution of certain venoms is a pure function of natural selection.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:02 AM   #104
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Perhaps, but we are talking about a Mother Nature who has designed the spines on some lizards to kill a snake that eats one slightly too large when it can't spit it back up because of the orientation of the spines causing it to lodge in the throat. In effect, individuals are designed to die to save the species. If nature "decides" that the most effective way to save a species is by mutating to the point of killing off the main threat (humanity), well things could get interesting.....

Vinny?.........................LOL Just kidding Vin.

Naturally, like has been pointed out, Man is a threat not only to all living creatures, but a threat to himself as well. We are a greedy, self-absorbed, and destructive animal. And what really sucks is that we have more resoning capabilities that do any other animal, and we still seemingly destroy everything we come across in the name of things like, education, industry, growth, and most of all (IMO) greed. And man in general looks down on animals as being "lesser". We have much to learn.

Interesting way to look at dying to save a species. Certainly not any less true. Mother nature has many lethal designs, in one way or another. Doesn't Australia have an extremely venomous and dangerous ant? Can't recall the name right now, but I seem to recall it messes up many people each year.

Rick

Old 03-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #105
Vinny D
this is a very intresting subject. i hope we can learn alout more about the venom evolving right in front of your eyes. like i had said before mother nature controls what happend the human species dosent. and again about my C. Adamanteus envenomation. maybe it wasent 100% neurotoxic since my arm was so swollen. their had to have been some hemotoxic effects in that bite. but since i didnt have any necrosis (tissue damage) or compartment pressure like i did from the atheris chloroechis envenomation. no offence Rick lol. i will e-mail Dr. Bryan Fry about this very intresting subject. becides brint at the zoo Dr. Fry is probly the only person who will have a correst answer on this subject. great reacerch and thinking guys. and i can walk a little better now since my recent car accident. lol

Old 03-04-2006, 03:05 PM   #106
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny D
i can walk a little better now since my recent car accident.
That's kinda scary...I can only imagine how you walked before your accident, if it's better now. You must have super recuperative powers...just 2 1/2 days ago (a mere 60 hrs) you posted this
Quote:
today i totalled my car, i broke my pelvis and 4 lower lumbars in my back. it hurts so bad
Oh, never mind, I'm not going to start

Old 03-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #107
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
That's kinda scary...I can only imagine how you walked before your accident, if it's better now. You must have super recuperative powers...just 2 1/2 days ago (a mere 60 hrs) you posted this

Oh, never mind, I'm not going to start
LOL. I was going to call BS myself, broken pelvis most people would barely be conscious let alone sitting in front of a computer posting in forums. I took into consideration the character as shown in these several threads and figured why bother.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #108
hhmoore
minor pelvic fractures might not lay him up too long (happens to women during childbirth all the time), but the fractured vertebrae should.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #109
ladyserpent7
here we go again..sigh does this poor guy have to defend every little statement..cut some slack boys

Old 03-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #110
LakesideBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny D
today i totalled my car, i broke my pelvis and 4 lower lumbars in my back. it hurts so bad. so take it easy on me lol j/p
I thought he was joking when he posted that. Hence the "lol j/p" but even if he wasn't, with access to laptop computers and wireless internet, he could still be here, even after consuming large quantities of painkillers!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!