Ball Python Rack System Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-24-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
bayondai
Ball Python Rack System Question

I am going to making a rack system for my ball pythons and was wondering if you have to use Melamine or if you could just use regular plywood like oak or maple or whatever?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-24-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
Quammee
Lightbulb Rack System

The melamine helps to keep the moisture out of the wood. With the condensation off the water dishes and the heat tape running, the moisture will start to warp the wood unless it's protected.

Anita

Old 02-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #3
Quammee
Lightbulb Rack Systems

The melamine also helps to keep the heat and humidity up.

Old 02-24-2004, 06:12 PM   #4
bayondai
That makes sence. Thanks for the help.
Mike

Old 02-26-2004, 01:04 PM   #5
CornNut
Although people with large collections in racks often use lidless systems (which expose the rack to high humidity) to save time during maintenance there are some of us with moderate sized collections that build our racks to accommodate the sweater box lids. The advantage is that the lid comes in contact with the snake and cage conditions and also that you can pull a box out without having to worry about the snake escaping immediately. The down side is that you spend extra time opening and closing lids every time you need to clean or even check on your snakes.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:08 PM   #6
CornNut
Oh, yes, my point ...

If your collection is small enough that you can live with the extra time of opening boxes then you can build your rack to size for boxes with lids and out of most anything. I have one of particleboard, one of melamine, and am about to build one with hollow core doors that should be much lighter than the other two.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
bigdee
ball racks

Im looking to build a rack for my balls soon also do any of you have pics of your racks. True with the lids you can use anything but it would take time taking tubs out and lids off, as far as snake escaping I figure I can just slowly pull the tub out just like I would have to slowly open the lid so I think I would like the lidless. Im trying to avoid malemine as much as I can because of the weight.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:06 PM   #8
NEWReptiles
Here are the bins we use.

Hatchling size, 6" x 10"
Juvis bin size, 8" x 16"
Young adults, 16" x 24"
Breeder girls, 16" x 34"
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
bigdee
Racks

Al the links are not woking

Old 03-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #10
NEWReptiles
This new pic setup is a pain in the A55.....

The first pic is our juvi rack,
2nd is young adults/males
3rd is the breeder size
4th is the hatchling rack

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!