The First Red Dragons. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Ed Clark
The First Red Dragons.

After a long pleasant conversation with my buddy Bob Mailloux I thought I wound share a tidbit of early red dragon history.

In the early 1990's there were very few red dragons in the hobby, Bob picked a couple here and there.A good size shipment came in reportedly from the Frankfurt, Germany zoo. I could never be confirmed tho. Bob snapped them up and started producing what he called red/gold dragons. he had a vet by the name of Rick Abrahams that was able to buy 20 of these early reds. keep in mind Bob was the only person with red dragons. Rick produced a few but tired quickly breeding dragons. I got wind of what he had then tracked him down to his Vet office in Socal. those days we had no internet....at least nothing we knew of.

Around the same time period Bob was finding red dragons in pet shops with ticks on them, there was alot of talk they were imported directly from Australia but no import papers could be found.

Took a little bartering before I could get all that he had, these were sub adults and young adults. I was shocked when I opened that shipment up as ALL the dragons were missing body parts such as feet,legs and tails. that did not stop them from breeding I produced many hundreds of red babies from this group sending them everywhere. in the 1980's all we had was normals to work with I was holding back the very light colored normals with yellow or orange on their faces. it was fun breeding dragons in huge metal stock tanks listening to the scritch, scritch all day on those metal tanks.

Bob and I both on different coasts many miles apart were producing red babies trying to supply a massive demand for red dragons.

Bob is the mastermind of the red bearded dragon.

Here's an old pic of a clutch of my early reds.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
chris allen
What year is that picture from....your early reds?

Interesting.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris allen View Post
What year is that picture from....your early reds?

Interesting.
1993-1994? found some old pics in a box in attic then called Bob for a trip down memory lane.that clutch was 12 eggs if I remember correct, nothing so amazing as seeing red hatchlings after working with normals for years.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
chris allen
You have to have some pictures then of all these red babies that you were producing alongside Bob Mailloux.

It sucks then for you that Bob got all the credit(which I feel of course he rightfully deserves as being one of the pioneers in the dragon trade), and you didn't get anything.

It's also a little odd that suggesting your time frame of what you were doing that you would also be running ads looking to buy dragons? Funny though no ads advertising your Red dragons. Flipping back then in the mid 90's also I would imagine?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Bacula
what the hell no pics are showing up?!

Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
deborahbroadus
I don't see any either. All this drama has gotten me interested in dragons.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
chris allen
All the attachments are gone from everything on the site. I think Rich posted he was trying to get a backup.

It's not even drama. It's B.S and people need to start calling this guy out on everything he says.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
chris allen
And for the record, I'm not saying Ed Clark didn't have anything to do with dragons back in the 80's or 90's......I know he did somewhat, but to the extent he posted above is crazy. Why even make a post like this?

Could you sound any more conceited?

History, facts, actual breedings, etc would all be interesting....at least to me.

Your buddy, supplying massive demand, it's all crap.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris allen View Post
All the attachments are gone from everything on the site. I think Rich posted he was trying to get a backup.

It's not even drama. It's B.S and people need to start calling this guy out on everything he says.
I am nothing if not fair (I try to be ). IMO, it would be unfair to pester Ed, while leaving Nicole unscathed.

In my opinion, Ed took Nicole under his wing, taught her all she knows and she has outstripped the "master." He didn't take into account that the "pupil" would soon become the "teacher."

If we are going to call out Ed (waste of time, really), we should also call out Nicole.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
chris allen
I agree, but this post has nothing to do with Nicole. It was about Ed Clark and and some history on bearded dragons(attempt I guess at best).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!