calcium supplement question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-02-2004, 06:55 PM   #1
rinoa0587
Question calcium supplement question

i have noticed that many caresheets say that leo's need a calcium dish but exactly how much calcium should they eat out of it a day or week? mine takes one or two licks once every week to two weeks. is this enough? should i add a calcium supplement to the water? sorry for so many questions but i cannot find this info anywhere else.
*ash

Old 06-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
calcium

In my opinion, you could leave calcium in a small dish out all the time, but unless you see your gecko use it, do not rely on it for their sole source of calcium supplementation. I still feel that their food items should be dusted with calcium powder a couple of times a week in addition to the bowl... and even more often for laying females and growing juvies.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
rinoa0587
dusting

i dust his worms every other day, but i was told that they still need to each the phospherous free stuff from a calcium dish and he doesn't eat out of that much at all.
*ash

Old 06-02-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
Blazin
Agreed.

Hatchlings,Juvies and Gravid females need alot of calcium. I give calcium every feeding to my gravid females and every other feeding to my hatchlings and juvies. On top of the every feeding to gravid girls I also supply them with a dish of it and see some of them MUNCHING IT! Not just licking but actually biting into the piles. Oh that reminds me I need to order some Rep-Cal.

Old 06-02-2004, 09:15 PM   #5
Happy Jack
do you guys use the Rep-Cal with or with out D3?

Old 06-02-2004, 11:14 PM   #6
Golden Gate Geckos
to D, or not to D...

This has been a subject of debate for a few years. Vit D is assimilated through natural sunlight, and that is one of the reasons many reptiles bask in the sun. Vit D serves as a catalyst in order that calcium will be absorbed more quickly and efficiently into the bloodstream. This is especially important for reptiles that are prone to MBD like iguanas, but there is not much real information in regard to nocturnal species such as Leopard Geckos.

I have had vets, reptile researchers, and university professors all tell me conflicting opinions and advise... including Dr. Roger Klingenberg (author of "Understanding Reptile Parasites'). Some say that since Leos are nocturnal, they don't need as much calcium as other, more tropical species of lizards. But, when I have asked if they have ever had a case of hypercalcemia (too much calcium) in Leopard Geckos, no one can tell me they have!

I use both calcium with and without Vit D. I use calcium w/out Vit D in my bowls in the enclosures, and use calcium with Vit D weekly dusted on food items. Laying females and hatchlings/juvies get it about every 2-3 feedings. I don't know if this is the right way to go, but mine are healthy!

Old 06-03-2004, 03:34 PM   #7
rinoa0587
thanks

thanks for all of the opinions, i'll keep up with the regular dustings and leaving a dish and if he seems to get ill i'll get him to a vet.
*ash

Old 06-04-2004, 10:43 AM   #8
Xelda
I don't think D3 intoxification is as much of a problem with leopard geckos as it is with other reptiles, particularly the ones that already get UV lighting.

In addition to dusting, make sure you gutload your feeders with a high calcium diet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!