Thinking about becoming a Bearded Dragon Owner. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-25-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
-JayDog-
Thinking about becoming a Bearded Dragon Owner.

Hi guys, I own 6 leos and was thinking (just thinking) about getting a bearded dragon. I was wondering if anybody can let me know some of the differances between the two lizards. And, maybe a quick summary of what is involved in taking care of a Bearded Dragon: Minimun tank size, heat, food, tank matinance

Thanks

Old 01-25-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
Reptileking636
Some of the main differences between the two is that bearded dragons generally seem to being being taken out of their cages and handled as opposed to as leos will try and avoid, but then it can depend on the leos attitude. The minimum tank size for an adult is a 40 gallon breeder but bigger is always better, as a hatchling/juvie a 20 gallon long seems to be perfect. They need a heat gradient of 105-110 at the basking spot and around 75-85 on the cool side of the tank. As a baby their diet will need to be mainly insects suck as crickets, roaches, and mealies with a little bit of greens (maybe 10% or their diet) such as collard, mustard, and red leaf lettuce. As they get to be juvies around 40% of the diet should be greens and as adults around 90% of the diet should be greens. Tank care is pretty easy, spot clean it every day or two and do a full change of substrate every 3-4 weeks. Substrate should be minimal for hatchlings. Paper towels work the best or no substrate at all, one of the best seems to be shelf liner as they can grip it and can not ingest it. As adults sifted play sand works, but i prefer to use rabbit pellets.

Beardies are a great reptile and i would highly reccomend getting one.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
sugarkornbizkits
Beardeds make awesome pets. I have both a male bearded and a male leo. The leo will try to avoid being picked up while the bearded tries to get out of his enclosure anytime he sees me. He loves to be held and snuggles. Cage maintence is very easy. He onlys goes to the bathroom every other day, so I just spot clean and then once a month I change the substrate. I use crushed walnut shells. I know a lot of people say not to use them, but I have used it for quite a while and I have had no problems. (I use sand for the leo)

Old 01-26-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
-JayDog-
More Questions

Would I use an over head heat source? It seems like belly heat, like what's used for the leos, is not that practicle.

Will these cages do? Or are these for iguanas?

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptile_...es_106200.html

Thanks,
Jason

Old 01-26-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
sugarkornbizkits
That looks like an iggy or chamelon cage. My beardie enclosure is just a 40 gallon breeder. It's all glass and has a sliding screen top on it. (it looks sorta like an aquarium, only it's not as tall, it has more room for them to walk around, and it's made just for reptiles) I use a 150 watt overhead light and I also use a uv light for a few hours a week on him. What I found out, they do need some belly heat to help them digest their food, so I went out and found a large, flat rock and I put it under the light. So the light heats it up and he basks there after he eats and sleeps on it at night since it keeps the heat for a while. I hope this helps you.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
sugarkornbizkits
Wink

Also forgot to mention that my beardie (Bobo is his name) is a little over a year old. When beardies are younger and they're doing a lot of growing, they need a uv light on them everyday and they also need their calcium supplements with every meal so their bones don't become malformed. Now, Bobo only gets all his crickets dusted (gets a handful of crix a week) and I sprinkle some of it on his veggies everyother day. ...I think that's all for now...let us know if you have any other questions...that's what we're here for

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!