Deformity #2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-14-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
PaulSage
Deformity #2

Now I'm starting to get a little worried.

This was the last of his clutch to hatch out on Friday. He only made it about halfway out and then got "stuck". I was leaving for the weekend, so I just left him in the egg container, figuring he would emerge by the time I got back today. He hadn't made any progress, so I helped him out of the egg, only to find out WHY he wasn't able to get all of the way out.

He is completely unrelated to the deformed hatchling that I posted in the other thread. In fact, the parents are from two completely different breeders. I'm wondering if something environmental is going on, or if deformities are just more common than what I hear about.

Any ideas? I'm assuming this one is freezer-bound as well. (I don't have any kingsnakes)
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
Paul, I didn't read about your other one but I am so so sorry! I know nothing about snakes so I am of no help at all.

I hope this is the last of you problems!

I honestly think that with any reptile the deformities are just talked about more now than they used to be, I think it was a cull and keep quiet kind of deal and now breeders are more willing to share their misfotune to help find a cause.

Just my .02 on the problem and again very sorry!

Old 08-14-2005, 10:43 PM   #3
Jim O
I doubt this animal would be able to feed given the anatomy. I agree with culling it now.

Two anomalies in separate clutches is not highly alarming. Of course you should consider if these two eggs were in similar positions in the incubator and perhaps had more temperature fluctuations, though I am doubtful that is the case. More likely it is a coincidence.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:16 AM   #4
PaulSage
I guess that considering they are different types of deformities, I shouldn't worry too much about them. All of the other babies that have hatched this year have been incredibly robust and healthy little buggers, so I should just be grateful for that.

The two clutches were laid on the same date, but were in opposite corners of the incubator. I built the incubator myself over the winter, and it has really good circulation from 4 big computer fans, so I don't think I'm having a problem with temperature zones or fluctuations. (See attached pics)

I suppose that when a fair amount of babies are born, that there are bound to be some deformities or problems just because of the odds. Some just aren't meant to be I guess. I have to admit it's kind of difficult to pop two babies in the freezer when I've worked so hard to produce them in the first place. I guess it's part of the game though.

Wendy, the other thread was here in the cornsnakes forum and titled something like "what the heck happened to this guy?". That baby had a twisted and contorted body, unlike this one who was perfect except for having about an inch of his underside folded over and fused together. Had they been from the same clutch or the same parents, I would retire the parents from breeding.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
Tears_and_Fangs
Aw poor baby...I'm sorry. =(

Old 08-15-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
DragonCharm
Don't put any blame on yourself, S happens man. Anyone that breeds and claims to hatch out 100% healthy babies every single clutch is LYING. It happens to the best of them. You just had an unlucky streak and go 2 close together. In the wild mother nature culls them by allowing them to be easily picked off by preds, in an artificial enviroment the freezer fills this need. You know how odds go.......if odds have it that you should have 25% homos you might get lucky and be near 50% or have none at all. Same works with bad odds, you may have no deformities in 10 clutches or 2 in 2 clutches, aren't odds a B or a blessing?

Old 08-15-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonCharm
Anyone that breeds and claims to hatch out 100% healthy babies every single clutch is LYING.
Ain't that ever the truth?

Two deformities in all those clutches you have there is still quite good results.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:28 PM   #8
paulh
I had a similarly deformed bullsnake in my very first clutch of eggs, but it died before hatching. I have not seen such a deformity since. I believe that it was environmentally caused rather than genetic.

My incubation technique was rather poor at the time. I killed about half the clutch with too much moisture. I have never figured out whether the damp conditions were the cause or just coincidence.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
Leighanne
Ugh!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Sage I know your still active here! One question? Did you even TRY feeding this poor little guy????? You never know. (

Old 05-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
TripleMoonsExotic
Speaking of deformities, out've the 28 eggs that hatched here over the weekend...I did have one little guy dead in the egg with a severe neck kink. I'm thankful he was already gone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!