Updates to the infraction system - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #51
WebSlave
I would also like to remind everyone that the infraction is not in itself a penalty. It is a notice that a rule violation has taken place, and the member receiving the infraction is expected to take heed of the error and make note of the rule broken in future participation on this site. This is a very handy system that makes it extremely easy for the mods and myself to keep tabs of things, and it also affords us the opportunity to review and audit infractions when it seems prudent and necessary to do so.

The infractions are cumulative, but do expire after a set amount of time. And the infractions are weighted based on the perceived severity of the rule violation. The infraction itself is not a penalty, but it IS a warning that a penalty can be forthcoming if behavioral modifications are not undertaken. When set cumulative totals of infractions are reached, a ban is automatic. And the bans themselves will escalate as necessary, through temporary bans until finally a PERMANENT ban is triggered.

It is a SYSTEM being utilized to try to keep the peace around here, and keep discussions relatively civil and professional, albeit unfortunately, normally AFTER the fact in a lot of cases. Many of the infractions are common sense for interacting in a public meeting place, but some, as has been shown, can be a matter of opinion. Although everyone is welcome to express their opinions, it is requested that such expressions be civil and professional. We don't demand your respect, but we will will not respond favorably to YOU if you treat us with blatant disrespect. But bear in mind that the rules in place have gone through a lot of evolution over the years, and it is quite unlikely that your disagreeing with a rule is going to change it at this point.

In reality, I wish the infraction system wasn't necessary here, but like it or not, it IS necessary, and serves a vital function for us trying to keep this site running on an even keel. Your cooperation is sincerely appreciated, as we are only trying to do our best to make this site as pleasant and valuable as possible to as many people as possible. We do wish that everyone will be able to fit in, but certainly that is a pipe dream, and we find it necessary to have a system that helps us, when necessary, to rapidly weed out those who are not fitting in, and obviously belong somewhere else more fitting to their personality.

As I have said many times before, WE obviously can't do this alone. So we ask that you help us to help YOU to make this site worthwhile for all of us. It's really not at all difficult to do if you just take the time to type posts and then THINK about them before you click that submit button. Rarely does any good come from a post made in haste and while under the influence of highly agitated emotions. If we never had to hand out another infraction, surely all of us would be quite happy with that turn or events. But that is really in YOUR hands much more than in ours.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #52
TacticalMorphs
do infractions automatically reduce your reputation level. or how does that work. i have never told anyone off or ripped anyone of but yet my rep is negative

Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #53
hhmoore
Reputation is peer driven - if (contributing) members don't like your posts, they can give you negative karma.
As a contributing member, you can see who left you karma, and for what post(s); so there really isn't much mystery to it.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #54
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by osbox View Post
do infractions automatically reduce your reputation level. or how does that work. i have never told anyone off or ripped anyone of but yet my rep is negative
I gave the karma back and I think we've moved passed the reason why.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #55
TacticalMorphs
i have to slow down on fauna i have too many tabs open!!!!!!
thanks to all. the info i received was helpful. newbies like me will be stupid.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #56
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by osbox View Post
do infractions automatically reduce your reputation level.
No, they do not.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #57
akonitony
Ahem... if I may:

I would just like to say I appreciate this site's infraction system. It has actually helped me, of ALL people, to think about what I say (as in speaking everyday) before I say it - not always, but it's a start.

To HHMoore & Polosian, thank you sir, may I have another? (Not really wanting another, but hopefully you get what I mean). I remember how I complained with the first one I got, and now I look back on that with embarrassment and think, man, I shoulda known better. Also, I have this new-fangled contraption called the trubbl-meter... Lucille, I need another set of batteries!

BTW, while I do have more than one infraction, please don't think I have a full-blown rap sheet of 'em. Let's just say I'm not a slow learner, but definitely 'thorough'?

Again, thanks for the life lessons with this site. To those of you who are about to get infracted, we salute you, and hope you will learn from your mistakes, and strive to do better. That's all they are looking for here. They are not trying for perfection, just 'being all you can be', to coin the phrase. It behooves one to just accept it when it happens, ask any relevent questions if you do have them, and move on. Crying about it is only going to make it worse - trust me, I've tried it.

Oh, and don't try the 'is this a white thing?' approach either - it goes over about as well as a pregnant nun.

No, I didn't actually try the white thing, but it did cross my mind. It works with my wife sometimes - she is 'half-n-half' (you know, salt-n-peppa all in one)!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #58
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by akonitony View Post
I remember how I complained with the first one I got, and now I look back on that with embarrassment and think, man, I shoulda known better. Also, I have this new-fangled contraption called the trubbl-meter... Lucille, I need another set of batteries!
I think I've told this story before: When I was younger, I owned a couple horses, Appaloosas. One was a staid, good horse, would do everything you asked, but really didn't have any verve.
The second was no crazy raging stallion but had to be corrected from time to time, and even hauled back sometimes because it always wanted to be doing something, and sometimes not the same somethings I wanted it to be doing at that moment.
I loved them both, but in my heart, I preferred the second one.

Tony, you have a good learning curve, else you wouldn't be making your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akonitony View Post
please don't think I have a full-blown rap sheet
I have a full blown rap sheet. Harald waits behind the roadside ads with his ticket book and knows what my car looks like.

I love this site and I try to be good. And, I'm so fortunate to have Harald in my life .

Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #59
hhmoore
Well, when a moderator posts warnings in a thread (in this case, I believe there were two), and people try to dance on the line - being as off topic, class clownish, as possible while including just enough relevance to ward off infractions - eventually they will miss. If the two of you had simply heeded those warnings, I doubt the last two posts would even have been made.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #60
akonitony
(Sigh).... Agreed.

But for the record, we wuz singing AND dancing... it took talent!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!