Scratched up snake, I'm looking for advice. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-06-2004, 02:06 AM   #1
Missymonkey
Question Scratched up snake, I'm looking for advice.

I have a texas long nose that got loose in the apartment. After searching for well over a week, I decided to give it a rest and see if she would pop up.

Needless to say, I woke up early one morning and found her climbing on my file cabinent looking at my cat who was sniffing her cautiously.

She is alive which is a plus, but wounded which is a minus. I'm really not sure if the cat did it or not. The cat wasn't acting like she was courageous enough to mess with the little snake however how can I truly tell what happened while I was sleeping.

Her wounds aren't horrible. She has nicks and scratches on her lower half and her cloaca/poo hole is rather beat up. One wound is a bit scarey though. The skin is slightly lifted and pushed over so that you can see pink. It is a small wound but the scales and skin is moved aside and I am wondering if I should take a pair of sterile tweezers and try to move it back and then bandage it???

There is no vet in my area who has any more knowledge than I do about snakes. I could take her 2 hours south to a vet but I don't even know any vets in the Madison area well enough to take her to them. Plus I don't think it is that serious.

I have given her a sterile tank with paper towel and a new fresh water dish. I bathe her in warm water every other day and put fresh neosporin/triple antibs on her every day. They aren't big scratches but I am concerned about this one where the skin is slightly moved. I don't want an infection to grow in the bunched up skin and I want to avoid scarring.

Have you guys ever delt with this? Any sugguestions on what I could do? Or should I just keep doing what I am doing?

thanks
(I posted this in the Vet forum too, I just am looking for as much advice as I can, I hope I am not stepping on any toes by doing that)

Old 06-06-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
hill4803
Sounds like you are...

doing everything right. My brother had a ball python get chewed up by a rat. He decided he didn't want to deal with it, so I took the snake, I did the same course of treatment (except I used hydrogen peroxide before I put on the neosporin) & he healed up fine. He had some open scabs for awhile. But when he shed, everything was fine, he still has faint scars. That was almost 8 years ago & I still have "weezer" today. Oh yeah, he also had an RI, which is why I named him "weezer". I take him in to my biology classes every year to show students how "scary" snakes are! Good luck with your guy, he should do fine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!