why not gerbals - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
p8ntballrman
why not gerbals

I know that ball pythons will eat them and they are easier to bread and are easier to clean up for and don't stink near as bad as rats do..... so why don't people use them when breeding ball pythons?

Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
reptilebaby
Probably because they're more expensive, and smaller than rats.

I am raising aft's, rats, and mice. I try to keep all mine on f/t but some won't eat anything but live.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
AGoodwin
they are also able to cause damage more easily than mice and smaller rats.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
sschind
They are not easier to breed in my experience (never tried breading them though They have smaller litters, they don't get as large,plus they grow slower. Other than the smell and the less water they drink I can't think of a good reason why to bother if you needed a lot of them. If someone with one or two snakes wanted to try a trio though I suppose it would work out.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
hhmoore
SOME ball pythons that develop a taste for gerbils (no "a" in the word) won't eat other things....at least that is the basic explanation - I think it would be more accurate to say that imported BPs that won't take mice or rats will often eat gerbils. It isn't that they won't go back to mice and rats, since they were never eating them in the first place. I have had some picky feeders, most of which would readily take gerbils. With CB animals that will feed on other prey, I would probably recommend against getting them started on something that is less commonly available (and significantly more expensive).

Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
MrBig
What he said.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
RobNJ
It's just not economically efficient to breed gerbils for feeders as it is mice, rats, or ASF's. Gerbils have much smaller litters on average, and longer gestation periods, so the money spent raising/breeding them would result in lower and less frequent output.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballrman View Post
so why don't people use them when breeding ball pythons?
Because ball pythons and gerbils cannot breed together. I think the python would eat the gerbil before the bred.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
p8ntballrman
Thank you all.... some good points made... I think I'll stick to Rats for breading

Focal - new morphs are hard to come up with..... guess I'll have to put the " Ratball" python on hold until more research can be done...... Maybe Artificial insemination ?? but the last time I tried that the petting zoo told me I wasn't allowed back.... something about scaring the childern

Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
ReeLCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal View Post
Because ball pythons and gerbils cannot breed together. I think the python would eat the gerbil before the bred.

LMAO! Now that was funny

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!