herp newbie in Ohio - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
catherine carney
herp newbie in Ohio

Hi all--

I've been lurking for a bit, finally took the plunge and joined. Great set of forums, and very much appreciate the BOI discussions (among many others)....

I have an extensive background in fish (killifish and natives), dogs, cats, rabbits (French angoras), and Shetland sheep. Some experience with Nubian goats (who knew they could jump a 4 foot fence??), and poultry (chickens, ducks, adding geese soon). New to peafowl, pigeons, and herps (brown anoles and white's tree frogs). Yes, I have a petting zoo in my backyard (grin)--more than half of these animals are due to my daughter's 4-H and other animal interests. She's never met a critter she didn't like (or want to keep)--this latest foray inter herps is at her request.

From what I have read, it looks like there can be a fairly steep learning curve associated with keeping herps. Can you all recommend books/websites/resources that we can educate ourselves about care? Her primary interest is amphibians (frogs) at this point, but she also thinks snakes and lizards (specifically geckos of all sorts) are cute--though that's subject to change given that she's a teenager. Any other resources that I have missed that I should look for??

Do you have any recommendations about attending the All Ohio Reptile Show? We have gone in the past and been impressed with the grad students from Bowling Green (who I gather are doing herp breeding projects/sales as part of their school curriculum), but it's been several years since we've been there and I know things can change. Anyone I should look for??

Thanks in advance for your help--sorry for the long post.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
Meghin89
Welcome!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
muskrat24
Welcome

Welcome. I don't live all that far from ya. I'm not new to the hobby but have only been in it for 3-4 years. As far as sites to gain a wealth of information they are generally segrigated. These are a few of the forums I frequent.

Ball pythons:

www.ball-pythons.net/forums/index.php

Geckos:

www.Geckoforums.net
www.Geckosunlimited.com

Tegus:

www.Tegutalk.com
www.thetegu.com

Chameleons:

www.chameleonforums.com

General Forums:

www.vivariumforums.com
www.kingsnake.com
www.repticzone.com/forums/index.html

Poison Dart Frogs

www.dendroboard.com

There is definitly a wealth of knowledge out there. There are more forums these are just the ones I check out from time to time. And welcome to the hobby.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
catherine carney
Hi all--

Thanks for the welcome--and for the resource info! We'll have to check out the websites later this week.

Any local herp clubs/organizations I should look up?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
joshjtd
Welcome

Old 03-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
barbie
Hello Always ask questions thats my mato and lots of people hear are ready to help:)

Old 03-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
rcarichter
Welcome! You'll find a ton of help here. Amphibians can be both the most and least forgiving of all herps, but if you can do goats and teenagers, I think you'll do great. When you get down to specific questions, cruise through the subforums here and see where your inquiries would best fit the category. (Like the 'Shows and Events' subforum for inquiries about the Ohio shows). Glad to have you on board!

Noelle

Old 03-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
catherine carney
Hi all--

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement--although I feel like I don't know what I'm doing most of the time with the goats and teenager, let alone herps (grins).

I've been cruising the subforums, had missed the shows and events one so I'll check it out.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
ForkedTung
Welcome to the forums!

I'm in Canton so not too far from you!

I have cornsnakes for sale right now and I also breed Crested Geckos ( highly recommended, have one for sale now) they are easy to keep and best of all don't need crickets, can live entirely on a powdered fruit mixture and are very gentle.

my ad and email is here:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=307165

buckeyeriverreptiles@hotmail.com

You'd be welcome to come see them any time.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
catherine carney
Hi Kyle--

Wish I'd known you were in Canton when I was up coaching a swim meet last weekend!

Crested geckos are definitely on the possible herp list--I've had some experience with leopard geckos and loved them, and the cresteds are even cuter (or so my teenager says)....I'll have to do some more research about them and see if we can provide the right conditions....

Any chance you'll be at the Columbus herp sale in April?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!