Questions for Spotted Turtle breeders - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Herpin Man
Questions for Spotted Turtle breeders

This year, I will be attempting to breed this species for the first time. There seems to be a fair amount of variation in how people keep and breed this species, so I'm looking for input from some of the Spotted turtle veterans here.
- Do you hibernate or otherwise cycle your turtles? At what sort of temperatures, i.e. water, basking, nighttime, etc?
- Do you keep the male with the females year round, or do you separate them?
- How do you have your enclosures set up?

Thanks to anybody who can offer guidance. I haven't found much online, and what I have found seems to vary widely.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
Herpin Man
Anybody working with spotted turtles?

Old 02-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
Calaveras
One of the reasons you are finding so much variability is that they are sort of easy to keep and breed. I hibernate mine, most do, but I know a couple of people that manage to get more hatchlings than me, but the turtles never hibernate.
Males can drown the females, make sure she can him to the surface to breath if needed.
Good luck, if you are breeding other turtles you will be fine, just do not expect each female to lay every year or big numbers of eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
Herpin Man
Calaveras, thanks for the response.
Do you keep your males with the females year round, or do you separate them during the off season? If you separate them, do you put them together at the beginning or at the end of the cooling cycle?

Old 02-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
Calaveras
It depends, but they breed in the "spingtime" as temperatures get warm

Old 02-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
Calaveras
You should buy the Al Roach book. These are turtle basics.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:55 AM   #7
nickolasanastasiou
I would say to talk to Curtis Ippolito (among others). Here is his profile.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...r.php?u=101527

People do get good results using a variety of keeping styles. It may depend on where in the range the animals are derived from.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #8
Herpin Man
Calaveras, yes they are the basics. Since the online info is somewhat inconsistent, I wanted to hear specifically what works for some of the spotted turtle keepers here. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
Herpin Man
nickolasanastasiou, thanks for the lead.
I have no idea where my turtles are from- I have picked them up individually over the years, mostly given to me by people that didn't want them anymore. I just figured it was time to put them to work.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, spotted turtle