Forceful Breathing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
wst0209a
Forceful Breathing

I have a question about my redtail boa. I was giving him a bath today and he was breathing rather heavy. He has done this in the past but I just thought he was weird or something and didn't think much of it, but I decided to ask today anyway. He is about 6', I have checked tank conditions and they are all good, I feed after he does his doo, and he always has complete sheds in one piece. The breathing is forceful and loud. I can see his body getting larger when he breaths in and out. He looks like he holds his breath for awhile and then lets out a big huff. It sounds pretty forceful and loud. Its not a whistling or cracking sound. His nose is clear looking. Just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone, if its a problem, and what should be one. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
Could be a Hiss?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
wst0209a
Just some pics to look at. Not great at taking pictures but there always fun to look at. When you see 100% Het, what exactly does that mean and how can you tell that it is? Also, how can I tell what kind of guy mine is? I have had him for about 4 years. What do you think?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
wst0209a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
Could be a Hiss?
No, I've heard a hiss plenty of times. Not quite like that. And it is repetitive, happens the whole time in the bath and afterwards, the whole thing lasts for about 15 mins. Its like he takes a deep breath, holds it, and then lets it all out hard.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Boa4u
Does he only do this heavy breathing thing when you give him baths? Sometimes when I bathe mine, they will get almost like an air bubble in the throat that they will breathe out, along with some water sometimes. Other than that, you might want to get him checked out by a vet, just as a precaution. He could have some respiratory issue that just might not be producing the classic bubbles from the nose and the gooey mouth.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
wst0209a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boa4u View Post
Does he only do this heavy breathing thing when you give him baths? Sometimes when I bathe mine, they will get almost like an air bubble in the throat that they will breathe out, along with some water sometimes. Other than that, you might want to get him checked out by a vet, just as a precaution. He could have some respiratory issue that just might not be producing the classic bubbles from the nose and the gooey mouth.
Yeah, its only when i give him baths. He starts shortly after I put him in it and then continues for about 5 mins after I take him out.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
Boa4u
If it is just when you bathe him, then I would not worry about it, like I said, mine have displayed similar behavior and seem to be perfectly healthy. Good looking boy you got there by the way. Good Luck.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
When he does this forceful breathing, is his mouth agape, or is it going through the sinus'? The popping and raspy breathing associated with RI are not the first signs, but rather the signs that catch most peoples attention. However, those signs of congestion come after an RI has set in, and taken hold. You won't likely hear those sounds at the beginning stages of an RI.

I'm not stating that an RI is present, because cultures would need to be done to determine that. But there are a few things you can do to help nip it at the beginning, if it is an RI setting in. When I suspect an RI coming on, I raise the temps to about 95 to 97 on the hot side, and try to keep the ambient side at 80 or above. Keep the humidity around 50%, and try not to go higher. Change the water DAILY. If they have an RI, every time they drink, they'll deposit infectious phlegm into the water, and will prolong the treatment each time they drink. And change the substrate fairly often, even if it's not soiled. And lastly, handle less often. Stress, even in small amounts, will work against your efforts of treatment. You may have to keep with these setting for a few months. They get sick a lot faster then they heal.

Good luck. If his condition don't improve, or gets worse, get to a vet and have them swab the mouth and do a culture to see what's up. Meds might be required.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wst0209a View Post
Yeah, its only when i give him baths. He starts shortly after I put him in it and then continues for about 5 mins after I take him out.
I didn't catch this tid bit here. But if this only ocurs when handling, then it's likely not an RI.

The preventative measures I mentioned above won't hurt him, if you wanted to go that route anyway.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
wst0209a
thanks for the info. When he does it, it comes through his nose, his mouth is shut the whole time. Any information on how you can tell more about the snake. I know that the term het is for if it can produce albinos but how can you tell if they are 100% het? i know mine is a columbian red tail boa, right? But whats the difference between a columbian and a surinam? BCC, BCI?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!