Bad Guy Snakes at sunset deceptive advertising - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 PM   #31
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by predators View Post
They had a separate picture/listing of a hatchling and she could have ordered that one but didnt.
These are the 8 tegu listings I see on their site. Curious, which one of these other listings shows a Chacoan Red Tegu hatchling she could have ordered but didn't?
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2018, 12:01 AM   #32
TXTeguChick
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
If I called someone and they assured me that I was getting something I don't know that I would feel the need to request pictures. I guess I have been in this hobby long enough to know I should but I tend to have a very trusting nature.

Of course it possible the person the OP talked to didn't have a clue as to which photo the he was referring to so when asked if the animals were like the picture he/she may have just assumed the picture was of a younger animal. Miscommunication may be the real culprit here although if the ad states well started babies I'd probably expect something from 2-4 months old not a few weeks. It wouldn't matter if it was a lizard or a snake, IMO 2 -3 weeks is still a hatchling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predators View Post
I believe in an earlier posting she mentioned trying to work with them but, received a canned response. Not surprising coming from them.
I contacted by phone and told them that I expected a larger animal based on their photos, and that I had called to confirm size prior to ordering,and then was told it was a generic photo. I was under the assumption originally that they had just made a mistake in shipping and sent the wrong tegu.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:03 AM   #33
TXTeguChick
Here is my email to them and their response.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2018, 12:04 AM   #34
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTeguChick View Post
I contacted by phone and told them that I expected a larger animal based on their photos, and that I had called to confirm size prior to ordering,and then was told it was a generic photo.
Curious... after they said it was a "generic photo", then what was the conversation after that? How did the conversation end? Did you ask for a resolution at that time?

Old 06-22-2018, 12:09 AM   #35
TXTeguChick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
Curious... after they said it was a "generic photo", then what was the conversation after that? How did the conversation end? Did you ask for a resolution at that time?
The gentleman at the store was very short with me and pretty much told me I got what was listed so I emailed them hoping to get someone with more authority and posted here.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:28 AM   #36
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTeguChick View Post
I should have investigated more before purchasing. Lesson learned.
I would agree with this. ^^^
In the future, a simple request for a photo of the "exact" animal you are about to purchase can eliminate any ambiguity related to size. It sounds like SAS are willing to text exact pictures if individuals simply request them.

To avoid further/future headaches, if I were SAS, I would place the "generic photo" disclaimer under each picture to avoid any question. While they do have the disclaimer on their site, putting it under the photos may help to further reduce any confusion by customers.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:38 AM   #37
caffeinecynic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
If I called someone and they assured me that I was getting something I don't know that I would feel the need to request pictures. I guess I have been in this hobby long enough to know I should but I tend to have a very trusting nature.

Of course it possible the person the OP talked to didn't have a clue as to which photo the he was referring to so when asked if the animals were like the picture he/she may have just assumed the picture was of a younger animal. Miscommunication may be the real culprit here although if the ad states well started babies I'd probably expect something from 2-4 months old not a few weeks. It wouldn't matter if it was a lizard or a snake, IMO 2 -3 weeks is still a hatchling.
I likely would not have either. I was just wondering what all steps were taken and if the OP had anything other than a phone conversation by which she could present the owner of Snakes at Sunset to prove that she had been misled.

I don't disagree at all that if you call someone on the phone and they tell you "it will be the size of the animal in the photo," and then it is so dramatically smaller, that is deceptive advertising. My goal was merely for more information.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #38
Snakesatsunset
We will gladly take it back and reimburse her.
I am guessing the miscommunication was based on definitions of age.
Hatchling to us, is 1-2 weeks old, barely eating yet, just starting to develop, etc.
Juvenile to us, is a stronger animal, already grown, usually 2x since hatching, and thriving BUT still a baby.
The animal she got is a phenomenal feeder, healthy, thriving juvie, that will be the size of the stock photo in a mere few months.
I will post later today when we open a photo of a week old "hatchling" and a sibling to hers that we consider a juvie.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #39
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesatsunset View Post
We will gladly take it back and reimburse her.
I am guessing the miscommunication was based on definitions of age.
Hatchling to us, is 1-2 weeks old, barely eating yet, just starting to develop, etc.
Juvenile to us, is a stronger animal, already grown, usually 2x since hatching, and thriving BUT still a baby.
The animal she got is a phenomenal feeder, healthy, thriving juvie, that will be the size of the stock photo in a mere few months.
I will post later today when we open a photo of a week old "hatchling" and a sibling to hers that we consider a juvie.
Here's your resolution Jamie.

The man stepped up to try to make you happy after what may have been a miscommunication or maybe a misunderstanding.

Whatever happened Mike B. is doing the right thing.so as much as you don't want the hatchling here is your way out.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:07 AM   #40
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinecynic View Post
I likely would not have either. I was just wondering what all steps were taken and if the OP had anything other than a phone conversation by which she could present the owner of Snakes at Sunset to prove that she had been misled.

I don't disagree at all that if you call someone on the phone and they tell you "it will be the size of the animal in the photo," and then it is so dramatically smaller, that is deceptive advertising. My goal was merely for more information.
I see, thanks for clearing it up. I thought you were suggesting that the OP should have contacted them and asked for pictures.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!