Kahl, Sharp, Coral....Lipstick? whats the difference? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
DAADEVIL12988
Lightbulb Kahl, Sharp, Coral....Lipstick? whats the difference?

Hey everyone, what is the difference between Peter Khal line albinos, Brian Sharp Albinos, coral albinos, and Lipstick albinos ? how can you tell them apart visually? and which ones are compatible? I understand that khal and sharp arent but are the others?

Old 06-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
Kahl strain - also called the 'original strain', was founded by Peter Kahl from a wc male albino, part of 4 that were originally imported to the US from Colombia. follow the link for the history
http://www.pkreptiles.com/informatio...albinoboas.asp

Coral albinos are selectively bred kahl strain and look pretty much like normal albinos when born and then start getting heavy pinks and oranges, especially around the head, as they grow, generally showing up around the 3-4' range (at 2-4 years of age).

Lipstick albinos are also kahl albinos that have been selectively bred for high red coloration,
line started by the Burkes (please someone correct me if I am wrong!).

There are other selectively bred strains, Boaphile has pastel albinos, Matt Crabe has his 'redline' albinos and I am sure there are more out there.

sharp strain was started by Brian sharp from a WC female boa (pic of her in the Boa Constrictor Manual).

Kahl and Sharp strains are not compatible, if you breed the two strains together, you get normal looking double hets (according to Brian Sharp who did this breeding, babies were either culled or sold into the pet trade (possibly only females sold in the pet trade) I've heard both versions of the story).

Kahl albinos tend to have more pink/red tones while sharp albinos tend to be more orange toned. It used to be that kahls were considered more just yellow snakes while the sharps tended to hold their color better into adulthood but with the years of selective breeding there are beautfiful high color animals from both strains. The only way to know the difference really is to buy from a reputable person and ask for history/paperwork on the parents.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
DAADEVIL12988
Thanx

That did help clear up alot for me. But how many alleles do you need to produce a "lipstick" albino? What I mean by that is , does the lipstick albino gene act a s a co-dominant when bred to another type of albino? Ex- Lets say you have a het for albino and you breed it to a het for lipstick albino, will you produce lipsticks? or regular albinos?

Old 06-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAADEVIL12988 View Post
But how many alleles do you need to produce a "lipstick" albino? What I mean by that is , does the lipstick albino gene act a s a co-dominant when bred to another type of albino?
It does not work that way, Lipstick is not a morph but rather it is a descriptive name for a line of albinos produced by a specific breeder, they are selectivly bred albinos. The trait will not work in a specific fashion where "lipstick albino x albino" equals X amount of babies will be lipstick. It's the same when breeding any two normal boas together, some are going to look more like dad, some more like mom and some will be a mix of the two. If you breed a lipstick x albino (or hets or whatever) you would not label them all as lipsticks but just specify that one of the parents was a lipstick line animal. If you breed lipstick x lipstick, you are breeding two animals from the same line and therefore all babies could be called lipstick animals. Hope that helps clarify.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
DAADEVIL12988
April that couldnt have been more clear! thanx again for helping clear up all of my questions.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
Glad I could help! Good luck with your projects.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
samanjaya
i just love helpful people!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
allreptiles1966
April,that was the best explanation and simple to understand !!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
allreptiles1966
Just looked at the date,lol.
Still great.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
AbsoluteApril
blast from the past post! Hey, I just did that earlier today (replied to a really old post without realizing it)

glad it's helpful!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!