What’s the optimum size/weight combination to minimize shipping cost? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
The BoidSmith
What’s the optimum size/weight combination to minimize shipping cost?

The great majority of people ship smaller packages (baby reptiles or smaller species). Taking this into consideration, what would be the ideal box size in which to ship them to "optimize" costs? Please take also into consideration animal welfare in your reply! Thanks in advance for your input!

Regards

Old 06-25-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
hhmoore
I don't know if they are "optimal", in terms of shipping cost, but I use 12x8x6 boxes whenever possible. I don't think I would be comfortable going much smaller, especially during cold weather (adding a heat pack).
When I need more space, I use 14x12x8

Old 06-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
Harald,

I agree. There's a size (probably the one you just mentioned) that's the compromise between a reasonable room for the animal, and a lower risk for over heating. The smaller the packages the more influence inside or outside temperatures have on the contents. Smaller packages should have thicker insulation (1 inch) to avoid this gradient risk. The problem is that thicker insulation, although decreasing the influence of outside temperatures, will maintain inside temperatures more efficiently. In this later case, overdoing it with heat packs increases the risk of overheating the contents. My question came from a shipment that I had sent overnight a week ago. Just two colubrids in a styrofoam box cost me $67. I obviously over did it with the size of the box, the bright side is that the animals arrived great in spite of a mistake by the carrier. Thanks for discussing relevant topics and trying to stay away from all the drama

Regards

Old 06-25-2006, 01:48 PM   #4
hhmoore
I hate to say it, but that seems to be the way overnight costs are heading. Granted, I haven't been doing a high volume of business (next year, lol), so I don't get much in the way of discounts...but I will be going to the process for Delta Dash, because it is looking like a more viable option everytime I arrange a shipment. I believe that in the not too distant future, it may well be worth the trip to the airport for some people (it already is, if you aren't dealing with small animals or quantities)

Old 06-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Mike Greathouse
We have been using the 12"x9"x6" as a staple for quite some time. It works very well for one or two animals and still leaves the appropriate amount of space for the necessary heat and cold packs.

We just ordered and received a shipping box order for this season and have had them specially made. This year we will be using the 10"x10"x10", the 12"x9"x6", and the 15"x11"x7" which should accommodate everything but the large wholesale orders and large adult animals. We have also upgraded the insulation to 1" 1lb density EPS. The difference in the insulation R value between the 1" foam and the standard 1/2" & 3/4" foam is substantial.

Old 06-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
The BoidSmith
Mike,

Considering that shipping price is function of both volume and weight, is there any difference of the 10x10x10 compared with the previous one you were using? On a different topic you should see the BCO I bought from you over a year ago. She is a great animal and believe or not she might be ready to breed soon. She feeds regularly on rats but I should take a picture of her taking an ocassional treat...a chicken drumstick! She loves them.

Old 06-25-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
Mike Greathouse
The 10"x10"x10" allows for the use of the larger deli's, i.e.: yearling boas or something similar. Price-wise, they are very similar.

I would love to see a picture of her. I always enjoy seeing how the "kids" are doing.

Old 06-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
The BoidSmith
She ate yesterday. As soon as she is in the mood again I'll take a picture of her taken care of a chicken drumstick. I'm pretty sure most people haven't seen a boa do that.

Regards.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
Mike Greathouse
Dan,
Just for kicks, here is her baby picture:
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #10
The BoidSmith
Yes, there she is alright. She is still very tame but don't give her an inch at feeding time!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!