How about using Fauna's Field Collecting Forum? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-31-2003, 08:32 PM   #1
gila7150
How about using Fauna's Field Collecting Forum?

As an occasional poster but an avid reader of Kingsnake's Field Collecting Forum...I'm kinda missing it already. I'm not sure how many of the regulars on the FC forum frequent this site but it would be great if we could start utilizing the field collecting forum on this site.
I don't really care for the way Kingsnake yanks forums to punish us and gives them back when they decide we've learned our lesson. I think it would be great if we had already found a replacement on the Fauna FC forum by the time the decide to bring it back.
It's a shame that the FC forum on this site doesn't generate much interest.
Chris Raden

Old 01-31-2003, 08:48 PM   #2
WebSlave
Well, it's there. All you all need to do is to start using it.

Horse, water, drink....

Old 02-01-2003, 06:24 AM   #3
gila7150
Point taken
I'll be using it...hopefully others will as well.
Chris Raden

Old 02-01-2003, 04:45 PM   #4
WebSlave
I fully realized when I started up all those forums, that it would be tough to get people to take the initiative to start the ball rolling. And I figured it would take a good two years or more before sufficient traffic would build up to where there would be a plethora of discussions taking place in most of those forums. Heck, I set up over 400 forums pretty much overnight! They couldn't possibly all hit the ground running.

I could have done this where I had just one big forum for Leopard geckos, one for Bearded Dragons, etc., etc., but then I would have felt like I was being nothing more than a kingsnake.com wannabe. So instead, at the possible price of just overwhelming visitors, I decided to make a structure that will make a LOT MORE sense further down the road when people come here looking for specific areas of interest about the animals they are interested in. Let's face it, when I go to the cornsnakes forums anywhere, I really don't want to have to skim through everything. I will probably be interested in genetics aspects, or discussions about particular cultivars. But with a single forum, I have to scan through ALL of those posts, looking for ones that appear to be likely to discuss something of interest to me. This will get worse, rather than better as time goes by.

So have I overshot the mark here? Possibly. But even if I have, it doesn't detract at all from the core sections that people have already been frequenting here. They have remained unchanged. And those other forums are there, waiting, if and when the time comes that people will want to use them. I notice that in most of them, anything posted is replied to rather quickly, so I believe a lot of people are just reluctant to be the first to post something. So it appears that people are scanning the forums, more or less waiting for something of interest to be posted. Empty forums can appear intimidating to people, so many are relucatant to be the first one into the water.

So why not help break the ice? Everyone here has an interest in something, otherwise you wouldn't even be here. So why not post something about an animal you know about? I would welcome even mini care sheets that would be pertinent to each of the forums. I even put sections in each of the animal categories that are for such topics as field collecting, even though I labeled it as 'field observation', since many people go hunting more with a camera these days then they do with a snake bag. But of course, collecting topics are perfectly valid in those forums as well. Let's face it, if you are interested in finding eastern king snakes, what would you rather do: Scan through a bazillion messages posted on one large Field Collecting forum, or go directly to a single forum entitled "Natural History/Field Observations" in the KINGSNAKES section? I'm looking at the long term, and this makes a whole lot more sense later on down the road.

The internet is a flood of information. So much so that people just don't have the time to try to wade through everything to find something of interest to them. That traffic will increase as more and more people tie into the net is a given. So the amount of information they are adding to the pool will be increasing as well. Single monolithic message boards trying to accomodate every bit of information about every possible topic on even one type of animal cannot possibly hope to cope with this. Fine tuning the segregation of information into logical sections is the only feasible way that any message board will be able to cope with the future.

Maybe I'm just dreaming, and maybe I'm just too far ahead of the perceived need quite yet, but I do believe that eventually, this will be the model that other sites will follow as they also recognize the need for more structure for the sanity of their viewers. IMHO, of course. But we'll just see what transpires here.

One thing for sure, though, I can't do it all. You all will need to help bring people here, and the best thing to keep them coming back here is to see active conversations taking place in the forums that are of interest to them. That's where I really need the help at. I have already had one guy send me an email saying that he stopped in here to check out the Field Collecting forum, but nothing was happening there. But instead of taking the initiative and posting something himself, he just went away. I'm sure that happens many many times each day here.

So if you can, pitch in and give a hand. The door is wide open. All you need to do is to come on in, sit down, and start talking about something YOU are interested in.

Thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!