Mealworm alergies? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-16-2004, 07:22 AM   #1
MatthewK
Mealworm alergies?

Ok, last night when I was getting mealworms to feed last night, I had some weird reactions to them. My eyes went bloodshot, and ichy. Then I couldnt stop sneezing. After that, my nose started running. These were about 300 worms in 2 inches of meal, been there for maybe 5 days? I think it may be the build up of feces in a small location.

Any insight helpful, thanks

Old 11-16-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
Mark and Aimee
I have a similar reaction when working in our mealworm bins, although not as severe. I've always figured it was just a minor reaction to the bedding.

Old 11-16-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
beakgeek
Talk to Monte about that. He had a similar reaction.

Regards,

Terry

Old 11-16-2004, 10:39 AM   #4
Sluefoot26
I beleive that this is a reaction to the bedding, do you know what kind it is? If it's store bought at like what is sold at Petco and Petsmart, its just a fine wheat germ.

Old 11-16-2004, 10:44 AM   #5
Manhattan Herps
i think its either the sheddings, or feces, if i dont wash my hands after sifting through them and i touch any part of my face i start sneezing and my eyes get ichy and watery, and i dont even use a "bedding"

Old 11-16-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
riverjop
Yea talk to Monte, he is the "ex-mealworm king! LOL

I think I also have some alergies to there feces...but Im still trying to figure it out?

Old 11-16-2004, 11:30 AM   #7
momtowildones
mealworm Allergies

I am so glad you said something! I thought I was nuts but I get a reaction to and I think it is from the sheddings or the feces! I kept my mealworms in oat bran for an experiment and still had a reaction (itchy eyes, sneezing, and my hands itch like crazy). I asked my allergist if it was possible to be allergic to mealworms adn he politely smiled at me like I was off my rocker and said it's not something he regulary runs into but anything is possible.

I have since tried using latex gloves when fishing out worms and I also got cheaper reptile feeeding tweezers so i am not touching anything directly! This seems to help but I still get the sneezes just not as bad!

Hope this helps!

Suzanne

Old 11-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #8
Manhattan Herps
my hands itch like crazy also and get slighty numb...but not from mealworms...only when i touch a certain plastic..

Old 11-16-2004, 12:48 PM   #9
Monte
It's probably the poop

and their isn't much you can do about it, except to not stir it up - and make sure you wash your hands.

Either that or sell all your leos, move to rhacs and feed T-Rex diet . . .

Just when I was going to start my work on "hyneeglows" . . . .

Old 11-16-2004, 01:16 PM   #10
robin d.
poop and hyneeglows are like....... chips and dip or tacos and taco sauce or like mashed potatoes and gravy... they just go together.

when i used chick mash as the substrate for me mealies i got serios sneezes and whatnot but i have since changed to whole oats... i try not to stir it up much, when i am pulling worms. and it doesnt bother me as much... i used to have to wear one of those paiters masks when pulling mealies..... but even though it has changed significantly.... after pulling worms i still blow black crap (i am assuming bug poo and dust) out of my nose

monte i just think your a weiner

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!