Do reptiles stink? girlfriend being stubborn... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-25-2005, 01:24 AM   #1
k0unt_zer0
Do reptiles stink? girlfriend being stubborn...

Short back story, Im 23 and have wanted a surinam boa since I was in 7th grade. I am finally going to do it and have been researching the animals and care and what not.

My question, my girlfriend is stubbornly objecting to me buying reptiles cause she claims they stink and will make the house stink... I have tried to tell her that if I keep the enclosure clean on a daily basis things will be fine. But just in case, I am hoping to get opinions from the herp community on this?

Do reptiles stink? (boa constrictors & lizards specifically?)

Thanks!

Old 12-25-2005, 02:15 AM   #2
hhmoore
As long as the cage is kept clean, you should have no problem with lasting odors from the boa...I say lasting because I can sometimes tell when one of mine has soiled the cage. Usually, it is one of the larger ones that has chosen to eliminate over the heated portion - but a few minutes after cleanup and things are back to normal. You also mentioned lizards - I will say that the potential for odor depends on the type of lizard, and that maintaining a clean cage is necessary to keep odors controlled (speaking from my experience, which is primarily with large carnivores. ie monitors). Now, for the real question...how much do you like your girlfriend? lol. My point being, what are you going to do if you get it and she has an absolute fit? Is there possibly some other underlying reason for her objections? Afraid of snakes, maybe? Rathugger?

Old 12-25-2005, 03:02 AM   #3
Rockford
Find a new girlfriend.....There are plenty out there. She will only suppress you and steal your pants for the rest of your life. Force you to marry her and be her slave so she can sit on her butt all day while you bring the pay check home for her to spend on HER. She really doesn't want you to have a snake because it will take attention away from her as well as money for Gucci bags, etc.

Please listen to me and do yourself a favor. Go to your local herp meetings and find yourself a new chick. There are plenty of hottie reptile chicks out there!

Oh one more thing. Boas don't stink any more than your girlfriend. Actually they smell less on a daily basis. Trust me.

Good luck!!!

Old 12-25-2005, 03:23 AM   #4
Junkyard
There is more to the story than "reptiles stink". Has she ever owned a pet? Is she afraid of snakes?

Set your priorities. If she does not want a snake and is willing to give you a lame excuse over facts, it will only drive a wedge into your relationship if you get one. Or you can get a new girlfriend that likes reptiles and will allow you to own as many as you want.

Old 12-25-2005, 04:24 AM   #5
hhmoore
You guys are brutal, lol. Maybe she just doesn't know, and is capable of being open minded. After all, my wife didn't like snakes - still doesn't particularly care for them - but she has done nothing but encourage me in my endeavors.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:18 AM   #6
GuinnyOne
With smaller snakes/lizards, you probably won't notice an odor. Especially herbivorous lizards. I never know when my uromastyx go. My large male bearded dragon can leave quite a stinker if he has been brewing it for a bit...but wipe it up with toilet paper, and then chlorohexidine and wipe the remainder..you'd never even know it happened.

Don't have too many larger boas, I have a mid-sized ball python, and I never have noticed much of an odor from her.

But if you have a larger lizard (monitors already mentioned), definately a hearty stench. I have adult argentine tegus, and wow, can they leave stinkies. If they ever get fish for a treat, makes it a lot worse...almost makes me gag . But, just clean it up when it happens and in about 20 minutes, you'd never even know that it ever did.

As far as trading the girlfriend in....well, maybe

But, ya never know...she may just fall in love with your snake. And yes, humans do smell worse than reptiles. Course it could be too that she is a rat-hugger...but so am I!!!! hahaha

Well, good luck with the stingey girlie and your snake...

I'm one of those who sits at home (taking care of the human child) while spending all my husband's money...but I don't spend it on gucci bags, I spend it on HERPS. He'd probably rather spend it on remote control cars.

Old 12-25-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
k0unt_zer0
hahaha oh man those are some great replies!!! lol. Well, definitely some varying points of view. I will own reptiles, I have been around them a bit, but not 24/7 to know if the "they stink" reasoning was valid. My plan is to start with a bearded dragon and then get used to caring for a smaller reptile before I go and buy a red-tail. I have actually been thinking of an enclosure and doing sketches and plan to build my own. (been researching what components a good enclosure needs).

I dont think she has any experience around reptiles, unless I am mistaken I dont think she has ever been closer than 5 feet from one, but somehow it has got in her head that they stink LoL.

You guys who said dump her, did you dump your girls and find new ones? Or has it been hard to find a new one? I dont really know much herpers and I admittedly dont know any female herpers.

Can you use febreeze or is that harmful to reptiles? I read at ProExotics they sell a non-toxic vet cleaner or something that apparently works well for cleaning. I guess any odor-remover would work as long as it was not in contact with the animal.

Old 12-25-2005, 05:23 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Hell, I've dumped 3 girlfriends over My reptiles. I'd dump 3 more too. They are not that hard to find. Not that I want another at this time. LOL
If reptiles are a part of you, than she should be understanding and open minded to the idea of you following something that means something to you. This is called mutual support, and you should not be forced to give up a part of you, because of someone else.
FACT. This is counter productive to a long lasting relationship anyway. without the support and understanding being there, it is destined for failure from the word go. Take junkyards advice and start getting into the local herp society.

As for the stinky part. NO! Yes, fecal matter can smell pretty bad at times, the larger the Boa, the more it seems to smell. But like mentioned, no more than people do at times. Just stay on top of the cleaning and you shouldn't even notice it.

Rick

Old 12-25-2005, 06:22 PM   #9
techgirl
jeez you men! girlfriend don't like one thing and you all say dump her. actually i really can't say anything, had a boyfriend who didn't like my dog(dog didn't like him either) and hinted about me getting rid of him. told him he could gladly leave if he didn't like my dog, boyfriends are a nice temporary company deal, pets are forever. now as for the stink question..as long as you keep them clean there shouldn't be a problem. the ball python actually is in our bedroom and you can't tell(how would your girlfriend like that? lol). i have had pet rodents that stink more than anything i know, even some birds i had smelled worse then my reptiles. you never know, maybe your girlfriend will learn to like the snake in time. my mother loved my iguana when i left it in her care for 2 weeks once when i helped a friend move to minnesota. my mom used to be terrified of her. i came back and my mom had it walking on a leash with a rhinestone collar and cooking meals for her. swear she doubled in size while i was gone.

Old 12-25-2005, 06:30 PM   #10
atomicgrrl
I'm going to have to agree with crotalus as both a herper and a girl . You shouldn't let her try to suade what you want because she doesn't personally like it. Mutual support man, gotta have it!

That being said, my boa doesn't noticeably smell bad. My dogs have caused a lot more smelly incidents than any reptile I've ever had, personally.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!