MORELS!! Spring is here!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
snowgyre
MORELS!! Spring is here!!

I went hiking in the woods yesterday on an Audubon Society field trip as an assistant trip leader. It was an overcast day and it poured on us toward the end of the trip. It was totally worth it though. Not only did we find over 60 species of birds (including my first of the year Louisiana Waterthrush), but I also collected my biggest haul of morels ever! Take a look at this!

Needless to say I was thrilled! I was not thrilled, however, by a bout of food poisoning I got that afternoon from a burrito. So, today I made a medicinal soup to ease my weary stomach. It's loosely based off a Thai spicy mushroom soup recipe that I have.

What you need:
1 large can of chicken broth (fish broth is the original recipe)

3 3-4" lemongrass stems sliced finely (or about 1 tbsp of the chopped stuff)

5-6 thinly sliced fresh ginger slices (original recipe calls for galangal, which is an oriental ginger and difficult to find, the ginger you get in the store works fine though, and if you get the chopped/ground stuff, use about 1 tbsp)

cheesecloth

1 tsp pickling spices

1 tsp Italian seasonings

10-12 small-medium morels, coarsely chopped (you want large chunks)

1 bunch green onion

1 bunch cilantro

Optional: thinly sliced chile peppers for heat

Cooking Instructions

1. Put your chicken broth into a medium sauce pan.

2. Take your ginger, spices, and lemongrass and wrap them in cheesecloth (chile peppers too if you want it spicy). You're basically making a giant tea bag. You can tie the top, or you can drape the open end over the side of the pot and hold it in place with the lid. Make sure the ingredients are resting in the broth though.

2. Simmer on low-medium heat for 1 hour.

3. After an hour, add your chopped mushrooms. Simmer for 15-25 minutes until tender.

4. Remove cheesecloth and throw away contents.

5. Add green onion greens and cilantro for garnish.

Enjoy!

Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
SamanthaJane13
Thanks for the recipe!! It sounds delish!!

Those morels are GORGEOUS!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
JCCS
Beautiful find, I'm going hunting this weekend in a place I've had scouted out since this spring. Here's a haul of chanterelles and chicken of the woods I found last summer.

Chris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!