relocating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-15-2003, 04:22 PM   #1
gatorman
relocating

I am planning on relocating my family and business. I am currently living in vermont so the winter climate isnt that wonderful for a reptile inthusiest. I am very interested in all exotics such as big cats,marsupials,primates etc. I was wondering what states have the best laws regarding exotics. I have heard texas is good but Im exploring my options. I want to live in a rural area with atleast 10 acres. If anyone has any advice I would be forever in debted. sincerely,corey kingsbury

Old 01-15-2003, 05:38 PM   #2
Adam Block
Man, let me tell you my friend. I am a seasoned vet at relocation and finding information on such. I'm from Milwaukee, VERY bad for this type of thing. They don't let you do anything there. Like most democratic states they feel they know what's best for you so they give you know freedom.

I'm now in Tucson and they are very good here on gun laws and many other things along those lines. I can't comment on animals and if I had to guess I would assume they are not the best as I know you can't keep hots, many types of fish and other animals. I also told my wife we were moving the day a democrat took the governors office here and while that isn't my motivation for my next move it sure was laughable that we're moving within two months of that.

Now it comes down to best places for you to live. I would put Austin and Orlando on the tops of my list. You may want to get up in the panhandle of FL but I would only do that to be closer to cities in the Midwest. I know TX and FL have good laws on keeping animals as I've almost moved to both. Based on the information I've found I would pick FL over TX only because I think there is much more to see within 400 miles of FL. I like Nashville and the Carolinas a lot so I wouldn't pick TX even though I think Austin is a better city. Also, you have better taxes in FL as they bring so much money in from tourists.

These are my thoughts on the topic and if you want to call me I would be happy to give you links, info and even friends to help with your move. I know how tough it can be as I've put 1,000s of hours into moves and the research of. I'm moving to SC in about 2 months.

Good luck!
Adam Block
(520) 616-8811

Old 01-15-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
JasonBrennan
Hey Adam, since you said you are moving to SC in a couple of months, you just might be interested in this link:

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate...al/4933936.htm

It was posted on another forum as being about SC, so check it out (it is not very long, about one page)

Jason Brennan

Old 01-15-2003, 09:57 PM   #4
Adam Block
Quote:
two pet lions escaped in the Sandy Run community near Swansea last summer.
Man, I have no clue why people are for this ban!

You know, when you keep animals like this you have to have a backup, a backup if that fails and then something else I haven't yet thought of. If my daughter was walking home from school and had to confront a lion I would be voting for the bad too. It's the owners of exotic pets that need to be held accountable. I'm all about fines. I wouldn't really be for a ban but I see a $50,000 fine as being more then fair.

Too funny and thanks for the link,
Adam Block

Old 01-16-2003, 09:32 AM   #5
HerpMasters Inc.
Just moved to Florida from SC

I just made a family and herp relocation to Florida from South Carolina. Florida has some pretty lenient laws when comes to hots and that sort of thing. I am still not very familiar with the herp and exotic laws but I am getting there. What I have noticed so far is that Fish and Wildlife pretty much leave you alone to do your thing unless there is a complaint. I know that is not the case in some other states. SC was good but what was starting to surface was stricter laws on keeping exotics. You could not really blame the courts though because this came about from idiots and rednecks thinking it was great to keep lions and cobras as pets and not making the necessary back up arrangements. Like the idiot who got bit by his pet cobra and had no antivenom. He let nobody in the state know he was keeping a lot of these animals and consequently the state had to pay for his air evacuation to Miami for anti venom to save his life. So basically be a responsible herp owner and you wont have a problem. However I guarantee the weather is better in Florida and South Carolina than where you are at.

Old 01-16-2003, 10:36 AM   #6
Pennebaker
Well I'm here in the Southwest and we have great weather and little laws--LOL. I'm in New Mexico and you can do just about anything outside of Albuquerque city limits (city is small, so you can live 10 minutes from it and not be affected). Even if you do live in the city, it's pretty lax--just need permits for hots. Colorado I know is even more lenient if you dont live in Denver. AZ is nice too and warm.
Texas is getting a little more strict but not bad.
Dana

Old 01-16-2003, 11:06 AM   #7
gatorman
Talking relocating

Thanks for your input, sounds like florida is a good place to raise a family and exotics. I am looking for a rural area where I can have some outdoor housing and room for my dogs to run. I want at least a few acres. are there any areas left in florida that arent too developed? I want to be able to keep crocadilians and monitors outdoors with huge housing thanks again everyone for the info,corey kingsbury

Old 01-16-2003, 12:36 PM   #8
midnightline
Actually, Colorado does not allow any non-zoo-or-rescue-type place to keep hots. There was a big issue earlier this year when some lady was found with about 25 different venomous snakes...

The exception to this is gila monsters and beaded lizards. They're perfectly legal as far as I can tell.

The other thing which isn't allowed in Colorado: buying/selling native species (though there are actually permits for this that you can get, I'm told), even captive-bred non-wildtype versions. There's concern about them escaping and contaminating the wild populations with disease, so they keep a closer eye on it.

Beyond that, if you live in the county, you can keep just about any nonvenomous snake, and pretty much any lizard. (I never checked to see if komodo dragons were on the 'no' list, though...)

Here's the section pertaining to reptiles for Colorado Springs (and the rest of El Paso County):

5. Any other domesticated animal kept as a pet (i.e., for pleasure rather than utility, sale or food) may be allowed on residential property, provided:

a. No more than two (2) of any such animals (other than fish, small reptiles or amphibians, small rodents or small birds kept in the dwelling) are located on any property;

b. The animal does not exceed one hundred (100) pounds in weight;

c. The animal is thoroughly secured on the property;

d. The animal produces no sounds or smell that may be reasonably regarded as offensive;

e. The animal is not exotic, wild or ordinarily considered dangerous; and

f. The animal is properly maintained to remain healthy and to prevent the accumulation of wastes.

Aaanyway... if you're dealing with larger reptiles that don't reach 100lbs, I'm pretty sure you can keep/breed those in areas zoned for 'hobby farms' as best I can tell. Anyone that wants to dig through it can read the zoning restrictions here:

Zoning Regulations for Colorado Springs and El Paso County

For regulations on the entire state, you need to check out the Colorado Department of Wildlife's webpage... somewhere they have a PDF which states what reptile species are allowed.

-Kat Hall

Old 01-16-2003, 01:12 PM   #9
WebSlave
One thing you may want to bear in mind when you do move that it may be a real good idea to make sure you get enough land that it will be zoned as agricultural. In some states, that can make a BIG difference on what you can or cannot do with animals. Talk to the local zoning board in any locality you are considering moving to. You may be OK now, but suppose there is a 5 year plan being worked on that will surround your land with low income housing? Or maybe even worse, HIGH income housing? Being suddenly surrounded by people whom don't like what you are doing will definitely cause you some grief sooner or later.

I moved from Maryland to Florida about 12 years ago and there is nothing on this earth that would make me move back again. Just the fact that moving to a warmer climate will GREATLY increase the amount of time you can do things outside comfortably is a benefit that cannot be overstressed.

Old 01-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #10
jbuncc
I'm moving to Florida in a week and a half from NC, and I can't wait! I'll be moving to an area right in between Orlando and Daytona Beach, it's about 30 minutes either way!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!