First boa--rescue - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
skirtinthedirt
First boa--rescue

This guy was dropped off at a vet hospital for euthanasia about 6 months ago, skinny as a rail, because he "wasn't eating." A staff member instead took him home for an attempt at rehab and no such issues. He's put on a lot of weight and now lives with us as we have space for such a sizey creature. Originally I was going to finish his rehab (he still looks underweight to me) but is such a puppy dog we are too in love with him to part with him.

Knowing plenty about large constrictor care but not a ton about boa types I had a few questions: He appears to be a BCI or hybrid, rather than BCC, correct? Also, A few people who I have shown pics to have speculated that he might be a hypo, but I have no idea about that, even after looking at a bunch of pics. He does seem to have a sort of reduced pattern, as he only has little bow ties and less than 20 saddles, but again I don't really know. I don't care in the least about these things, as I am not aspiring to be a boa breeder, but was looking for some thoughts for you boa people out there. Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
ShadowAceD
He's a Colombian Hypo of some type (which does mean he has distant Panamanian Blood in him), but still BCI.

Nice looking little guy.

Glad you saved him.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Hypo for sure. And he doesn't look under weight either. Males are not as girthy as females. He'll live a lot longer if you keep him on the slimmer side, rather then bulky.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
skirtinthedirt
Thanks for the replies. I am still not sure about his weight. I don't think he's seriously under, but when your holding him his ribs are very apparent. The few times he's been out for pictures he tends to "puff up" a little and he looks bigger than he is. Again, I'm not doing anything other than feeding him a normal sized meal on a normal schedule, so it will work out. I actually am operating under the assumption it's a boy. I haven't probed "him" yet.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
Addie_P
Good to hear you aren't going to deviate from a normal feeding schedule. His body structure honestly looks fine. He is a small guy, but he has a great square look to him and nice muscle tone, which is what you want in a boa. Congrats on the little hypo =)

Old 04-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Snakesitter
Well done on saving this little guy! He looks great! I agree he looks fine weigh-wise. However, if you are still unsure, weigh him and post the results here...that way if he looks fine only because of the "puffing" you describe, someone should be able to confirm from the actual numbers.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
cute little hypo and I agree, body weight looks fine to me, looks nice and square

Old 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
skirtinthedirt
Thanks guys. Im o.k. with the weight. I've been working with large constrictors and doing rehab for a goid long while and didnt mean to imply that I was concerned or felt he was unhealthy. All I meant was that if he continues to eat normal sized prey on a regular schedule he will fill out a little more naturally. That's all.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
We're not doubting you, just pointing out something a lot of boa keepers find out the hard way. Boas don't handle fat as well as pythons do. So what's normal for a Python doesn't necessarily equate to normal for a Boa.

Anyway, I think by looking at his tail, he probably is a male. Also looking at the body structure, head and tail girth, he is likely a sub adult. Hypo's, even lesser quality ones often have the bow tie saddles, which yours has, as well as a reduction in black.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
skirtinthedirt
I have noticed that a lot of people really put the food to these guys. Pythons too. I've been a vet tech for 10 years and doing reptile rescue and rehab for as long as that and have never run across such frequent feeding schedules as when I started hobby breeding. We've axtually purchased animals that came to us so fat we had to put them on a diet.

In the 10 years I have been dealing with the public and their animals, other than outright abuse and neglext nothing bugs me more than fat animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!