World’s largest Snake: Finding & Caring for a Giant Reticulated Python (Bronx Zoo) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
zookeeperfrank
World’s largest Snake: Finding & Caring for a Giant Reticulated Python (Bronx Zoo)

Hi All,
While working at the Bronx Zoo, I had the once-in-a lifetime opportunity of helping to import and care for one of the largest snakes in captivity. While “largest snake” debates are ongoing, the massive Reticulated Python I came to know was awe-inspiring by any standard. Dubbed “Samantha”, she was captured as an adult in Borneo, and eventually reached 26 feet in length and 275 pounds in weight. The story of how she arrived in the USA involves a cash reward established by Theodore Roosevelt, the leather trade, animal dealers and other twists and turns.
Wanted: 30 Foot-Long-Snake
In 1910, Theodore Roosevelt, long involved with the Bronx Zoo, offered a reward to the first person who presented a snake of 30 feet in length; in time the reward grew to $50,000. In 1992, I and other Bronx Zoo staff heard rumors that a giant Reticulated Python that had been captured in Borneo. We did not get overly-excited… being well-seasoned, I automatically deducted 25-50% from the size of any “biggest snake-turtle-croc” stories that came my way. But then grainy photos arrived by mail, and the snake depicted was, if not the largest I’d seen, impressive. Whether by design or bad luck, the photos did not allow us to accurately gauge the animal’s length.
In those pre-internet days, it was difficult to correspond with the leather company that owned the snake, which was confined in a railroad car near Samarinda, Borneo. Then as now, importing large animals was fraught with difficulties. Therefore, we enlisted the help of a local leather company with ties in the region and a trusted animal importer.
Read article here http://bitly.com/Sg0lvm.
Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here http://bitly.com/JJNk9h. Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj.

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with http://bitly.com/LC8Lbp
Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
allreptiles1966
I worked in a carnival for 2 years bouncing around the east coast and PR right after high school.Looking for what was my calling.I think i missed it. lol.
I had knew a few folks in the freak show and was asked to help move a retic .They stated it was 22' and about 240 lbs. If still alive after 24 years,i imagine its even bigger.
I would love to see a snake bigger.In person like i did with this one. I had pics from them when we all (8) moved it. I will see if i still have them.Although unlikely since moving a few times.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
zookeeperfrank
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
I worked in a carnival for 2 years bouncing around the east coast and PR right after high school.Looking for what was my calling.I think i missed it. lol.
I had knew a few folks in the freak show and was asked to help move a retic .They stated it was 22' and about 240 lbs. If still alive after 24 years,i imagine its even bigger.
I would love to see a snake bigger.In person like i did with this one. I had pics from them when we all (8) moved it. I will see if i still have them.Although unlikely since moving a few times.
I've missed a few as well!,,...but a good journey. That length/weight sounds about right for a captive retic. We caught the anaconda pictured here in Venezuela, as part of a tag-release study; she was 17 feet long and weighed 215 pounds (they are of a heavier build than retics)

Hope you see one...please let me know, best , Frank

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
reticulated python