Tarahumara Boa - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
samuraikota
Question Tarahumara Boa

Hey. I'm a beginner and plan on getting a Tarahumara Boa as my first snake and I've done so much research on it. My only question is what type of setup should I make for it, and how big of a cage will it needs when it gets older.

Also, how do you heat a tub and do I need a lamp if I keep it in a Sterilite tub?

Old 12-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
bcr229
I have tarahumaras. An adult would be comfortable in a 41-qt rack setup. Belly heat at 90*F, ambient 78-80*F.

If you want to use a reptile setup instead of a tub/rack system I would suggest a 36"x18"x18" tall PVC or melamine enclosure with RHP. They do like to climb so you could set up branches for them to perch on.

I would not house one in a tank, maintaining correct humidity would be difficult. Plus, boas are escape artists and most will eventually work their way out of something with a screen top.

This is a snake that can live for 20+ years, get a correct enclosure, not a fish tank.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
samuraikota
Thank you so much! Also, should I feed it inside or outside of it's enclosure?

Old 12-15-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
JCCS
I'm going to politely disagree here. First, as Tarahumara boas are not particularly common and are very rare in their natural environment and are also a bit more temperamental than typical boas, I would suggest getting a male Colombian instead. They are much more forgiving of beginner error. Secondly, while Melinda is completely correct about not using glass tanks. If you are getting a neonate, i would absolutely use a sterilite tub until it outgrows it. These are much easier to maintain humidity and temperature in and the snake tends to feel much more secure, giving you a very good chance at being successful. An enclosure of the size Melinda suggested would leave too much room for a neonate and make it feel insecure. If you are purchasing an older animal, which a yearling or so might not be a bad idea, disregard that advice. As for heating a sterilite tub, use a manufactured heat mat like you can get at reptile basics and a thermostat, not a rheostat. I would probably drill a small ring of holes around the the lid about an inch or so from the rim for ventilation so it doesn't get too humid and allows for some heat exchange.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
samuraikota
Thanks! I really wanted the Tarahumara because it's the smallest dwarf and I'm only 16 so I wanted something that would take up less space.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
JCCS
A male Colombian typically only gets 5-6' and really isn't too big. You could also look into male Hog Islands which are much lighter bodied and typically a bit shorter than Colombians. At 16, you should be able to handle either of those options and they'd both live contently in an enclosure the size that Melinda suggested as adults. I'm just saying there are other things to consider, mostly the well being of the locality, when purchasing animals such as Tarahumaras. They really, really need to propogate. They have an extremely small range and as such, are at pretty substantial risk, relatively speaking, of extinction.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
A male Colombian typically only gets 5-6' and really isn't too big. You could also look into male Hog Islands which are much lighter bodied and typically a bit shorter than Colombians. At 16, you should be able to handle either of those options and they'd both live contently in an enclosure the size that Melinda suggested as adults.
I thought Hog Islands got a bit large for a 40-breeder size when they grew up? At any rate, it would be years before the OP needed to get an enclosure for an adult if she got a baby now, my two year olds are doing just fine in 28-qt tubs.

Something else to consider though, is that OP is 16... who takes care of the snake during the college years? Most dorms don't permit pets, even caged ones. Are your parents ok with caring for the snake while you are gone? Then you have to consider where you'll end up living afterward, usually people rent a place and many landlords don't permit pets, never mind snakes.

Quote:
I'm just saying there are other things to consider, mostly the well being of the locality, when purchasing animals such as Tarahumaras. They really, really need to propogate. They have an extremely small range and as such, are at pretty substantial risk, relatively speaking, of extinction.
This is one of the main reasons I want to breed them as well as Savu pythons.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:33 AM   #8
samuraikota
I never really thought about all of that until now. I had been begging for a snake since I was 8 years old and now my mom finally said I could have one so I really wanted a small boa.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
bcr229
Given your age and the life changes you will encounter over the next few years, I would suggest finding a job at a reputable exotic pet store and learning correct husbandry practices while you're there. That way you get to fool with a variety of critters and learn how to care for them, and get paid for it, but you don't have to worry about rehoming them or trusting someone else in your family to care for them while you are away at school.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boa, tarahumara