Nikon CoolPix P900 - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Photography & Videography Techniques and Equipment

Notices

Photography & Videography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical and practical details of how to take good pictures and videos, as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #11
WebSlave
Last night the clouds broke apart at the right place and right time, giving me a really good clear shot at the moon right over the house. The place I needed to be in the front yard was extremely obvious since it was so much brighter there than where the shadows of all the trees were obscuring the moon. So I dragged out the tripod and set the P900 up on it to take some video of the moon. Seems to me that the "scene" option on the camera for "Moon" does nothing more than just delay the start of video and photos a couple of seconds to allow the movement of the camera after pressing the button to die down. Of course, this does nothing at all for trying to work the zoom lever or when you are trying to shut down the video. I did leave one instance of this out of the edited strips to show the motion.

Except for me having to swat the mosquitoes it was very easy getting these video clips. I left the audio in because of the nature sounds all around me at that time of night. Or maybe the microphone picked up aliens conversations on the moon. Who knows?

Anyway, made a couple of passes of the moon by trying to position the camera so it would pass where I wanted it to be in the frame. Seemed to work out pretty well even when I zoomed to the max setting.

Still can't get over the fact that I can get videos and photos like this from a relatively inexpensive hand holdable camera. I remember trying to get a good pic of the moon with my old 35mm stuff many years ago and I never could get anything very satisfying. This P900 makes it as easy as falling off a log.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
AbsoluteApril
really awesome quality, thank you for sharing. I'd also tried to get moon shots on an old camera back in the day with no results worth mentioning. These are amazing!

Old 07-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #13
Randall Turner
That is quite a good looking video clip of the moon. I love shooting photos and video of the moon and nature. I'm impressed with how little shake appeared in the clip of the birds.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #14
WebSlave
P900 on the Sky-Watcher Allview mount

A couple of weeks ago when the moon was getting near to being full again, and there was a break in the clouds, I mounted the P900 onto the Sky-Watcher Allview mount/tripod I bought to see how well that combo would work for panning the camera in a steady fashion while viewing the moon. All in all, it seemed to work pretty well. The Allview has 9 levels of movement speed for both the horizontal and vertical planes, and best I could tell, there was no backlash problems when motion was started or stopped. The would have been exhibited as a noticeable wobble at the beginning and the end of motion.

Of course, there is vibration evident transmitted through the tripod when I was trying to get the hand held controller off of the tripod, or actually touching the controls on the camera itself. And unfortunately the wireless remote I bought for the Nikon only works for triggering still photos (as far as I have been able to figure out), and doesn't work for initiating video. Nor does it work the zoom or anything else that would be nice to have so I wouldn't have to lay hands on the camera during video. But panning is really smooth with the Allview while I am doing it manually with the controller. Haven't figured out how to do actual tracking yet with it, mainly because the alignment procedure requires that I KNOW what stars I am using for reference, and I don't have a clue about that kind of stuff. So that is something I need to figure out first, I suppose.

Also, I had the auto-focus set incorrectly (for what I wanted, anyway) on the camera, so you can see the auto-focus struggling a bit during the motion of the moon across the screen. I didn't realize this till the last segment of video. Next time maybe I will try full manual focus since I'm guessing the entire moon should stay within the depth of field and not even need any sort of autofocus. But honestly, it's hard to think of everything when you are swatting at mosquitoes at the same time you are trying to get the camera set up correctly AND maneuver the motorized mount too. At least for this soggy old brain of mine, anyway. I guess it will get easier with experience with this new equipment.

But even with all the warts, I'm still amazed at the video I can get of the moon with this P900. And that Allview mount just makes panning the field of view a LOT easier at that high magnification, which quite honestly can be pretty tough handheld, or even on a standard tripod.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:31 AM   #15
CliffsideExotics
*stares at 55-200mm lens in disapointment*

Old 09-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #16
WebSlave
Well, I went and purchased a solar filter, figuring it might be interesting to take some pics of the sun. So I did get the pics, but interesting? Hardly....

Old 04-06-2017, 01:34 AM   #17
nickolasanastasiou
I picked one of these up recently. Very easy to use and I am enjoying the images it captures.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:30 AM   #18
WebSlave
Well, now you have to post some of them for us to look at....

Old 04-06-2017, 03:01 AM   #19
nickolasanastasiou
Of course, of course.

Just messing around with it so far. No adjustments and pretty much no steadying/bracing. A lot of creatures hang out in vegetation, so that makes for blurry crud in the way.

I am listening to that toad and his competitors trill away as I type this.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:12 AM   #20
nickolasanastasiou
A few more.

There were three racers kind of close to each other and I had gone out to take some photos of a tortoise for someone and refresh some water dishes as well. I figured that if I tried to go for the third, I would risk losing the two closest to each other. As such, I snatched up the two with one move of my left arm while holding the camera with my right hand. They seemed surprised by my success. One gave me a "friendly" love bite, but that was a small payment for the experience. The third animal can be seen in the brush before I went for the two. I released the two I caught where I found them so they could go on to make little racers in the future.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!