In your own opinion. what would you say is the best first hot for some 1.. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #11
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSmith
I have heard other takes on this as well. I heard one individual recommend a Mamba. When I asked why, they responded that if you are willing to work with venomous, you should be ready for the potential concequences and a Mamba may not give you a second chance.
I like the logic...but what about people that are realistic about their (lack of) ability to deal with something like that. A desire to break into this aspect of herpetoculture shouldn't necessarily be a cut and dry, live or die proposal.

Hexem - this is where what I mentioned earlier come into play: what you want. Since your desire is to work with arboreal species, and you have no interest in keeping a variety of other stuff, that is where you should focus your attention and efforts. By arboreal, I will assume that you mean the little branch huggers vs simply a snake that spends alot of time in the branches. They require different care and technique than alot of other exotics, hots included. You will need to learn cage setups that meet the snake's needs, but are safe for you to work with. Husbandry methods geared to that type of animal. Get yourself a few amazon tree boas and emerald tree boas (or gtps, if you prefer). They will share alot of the husbandry requirements of the snakes you ultimately wish to keep. Learn how to perform every aspect of care without putting yourself at risk (be aware of the potential at all times) It is easy to be complacent because, frequently, if you maintain a distance and don't bother them, they won't strike. But you have to live on the idea that they can, and might. You will have to learn how to remove one of the clingy things from the cage (disentangling them is not the way, unless it is critically necessary for your objective), what to do with it when it is out, how to get it back in, etc. In some ways the relatively small size of the arboreal vipers works to our advantage...in other ways it does not.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
Vinny D
gerat advice HHMOORE. how long have you been working with reptiles? and i dont think a arboreal hot is good for beginners. my bush viper was a Bi**h when it came to getting her out. and you need to learn that a hook to a arboral species is just another branch. if you want to learn about arboral hot's. get a biak local green tree python, i have yet to see one thats nice. and thats what i used to lean about arboreal hot's when i was younger. and it worked great,so thats is some good advice from HHMOORE i really thought i was going to attacked again for this thread. but it's working out the way i was hoping. thanks everyone

Old 03-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
hhmoore
I'm 39 & have been playing with snakes since I was a stupid kid. Of course, we don't have a huge selection in upstate NY so things didn't start getting interesting til I got a bit older.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny_D
i dont think a arboreal hot is good for beginners. my bush viper was a Bi**h when it came to getting her out. and you need to learn that a hook to a arboral species is just another branch
that is why I said
Quote:
You will have to learn how to remove one of the clingy things from the cage (disentangling them is not the way, unless it is critically necessary for your objective), what to do with it when it is out, how to get it back in
Easily moved cage furniture, removable perches, etc. Using long hemostats or tongs to remove the branch/perch with the snake still on it is the easy way. I also rigged some with plastic ivy vine so I could reach in with a hook and lift it out.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:14 PM   #14
Vinny D
i never tried the plastic ivy vine. that seems like it would be much easier to take out than a branch or perch. my bush viper cage was set up for a amazon basin ETB with removable perches. so that was never a problem. but thanks for that info about the vines im going to try that. i have a buch in my BCC cages just for looks.. thanks HHMOORE

Old 03-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
I think Harald about covered it. Just about any South American tree python or tree boa would be fairly aggressive. LOL That's being nice about some, and probably not fair to an elite few. They will definately teach you about awareness. An adult ETB can put on a wallop.

And definatley make sure you can obtain the proper AV for what you plan to keep. I trust you have thought of that already.

Rick

Old 03-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #16
hexem
Thanks everyone, all good stuff I'm taking into consideration! I think i'll start out with working with GTP's and ATB's ...(I'll search out other forums on specifics on them) One thing that i'd like someones opinion on...does anyone think naturalistic enclosures will make my job working with these snakes any harder, i dont think i could keep them in simple setups, id rather view tham as they would be in the wild.

I think id like to keep mangroves and bush vipers down the line hopefully with vinny's bite more people will start researching them and producing AV

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!