The Baby Turtle Law - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
hissnthatexotics
The Baby Turtle Law

I'm a little confuse... I've always thought you are not Allowed to sell any turtles under 4" .... but why does every single pet store I know sell them, I've even bought them, never signed a form or anything. Should I even acknowledge this law? I've always tried to avoid getting baby turtles at my shop....which leaves me VERY limited to what I can get. Opinions? Clarifications?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
PsychedelicTarantula
I think mainly no one takes the time to "Police" this law. Besides the science behind it is pretty ridiculous. A kid could get salmonella from an adult turtle just as likely.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
hissnthatexotics
I read somewhere that its because this small of a turtle could be easily put INA kids mouth. Which to me raises an issue similar to other reptile laws. If you don't know anything about salmonella and other risks and husbandry don't get a turtle! Its probably one of those laws that a few people were stupid now everyone suffers.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
hhmoore
As far as I know, it's still a law; though I believe it has been challenged a few times. (I'm pretty far removed from that stuff these days, so I'm not particularly likely to notice changes.)

Whether you agree with it, or not - it can bite you on the a$$ if you choose to disregard it. While it would be pretty unusual for the enforcing authority to make random inspections for turtle size; it wouldn't be so unusual for them to stop in as followup on a complaint/report. Initially, you would likely just be given notice to cease all sales or distribution of the turtles - meaning your options would be keep them until they are big enough to sell, release them, destroy them, or turn them over to a zoo. They may also pursue information regarding your source of those turtles. There are penalties that can be applied, if they feel that you have disregarded that notice.
If there are State or local laws involved, it is likely that the matter would be turned over to those authorities for enforcement.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
hhmoore
The law went into effect in - I think it was - 1975. Yes, the issue was salmonella; and the size was chosen because small turtles are more likely to be handled, and kids did put babies turtles in their mouths (kids are weird like that). It wasn't a matter of "a few" cases of salmonella, though - there were an estimated 250,000 cases of salmonella associated with baby turtles in the US.
Think about it - baby turtles are cute, they don't take up much room, etc.... They were sold at department stores and given away as prizes at fairs/carnivals. People are significantly more likely to buy a baby turtle than a 4+ turtle. I don't doubt that there are less impulse buys of the larger turtles, and more of them probably survive as a result.

I remember looking this up several years ago, and the CDC estimate was that 100,000 cases of salmonella - per year - were avoided by this law.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
hissnthatexotics
I'm not suggesting disregard the laws, I'm one of the few shops in my area that actually have any regard for the law lol. I was just curious.... like for example I get lists from companies in FL who just sell these turtles. Some say only to exhibitors, scientists etc. on the list or w.e but so few people bother to enforce that law it seems. Frankly whenever I receive baby turtles I adopt them out. Its easier than dealing with law enforcement. No one likes writing out fines more than NH Fish & Game lol.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
hhmoore
For anybody interested: http://www.fda.gov/iceci/compliancem.../ucm073858.htm

Old 10-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
hissnthatexotics
It makes sense...it just also seems like another epidemic of general ignorance.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
hhmoore
As far as adopting them out - that could/would still be considered distribution, and if NHF&G likes to issue fines, it's probably fair game if you were to be reported (or if it came up in an investigation)

Old 10-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissnthatexotics View Post
I'm not suggesting disregard the laws,
No, you were simply asking if you should acknowledge the law, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissnthatexotics
Should I even acknowledge this law?
I see the difference.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!