Info on Dwarf RTBs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 11:21 PM   #1
DLenaRuth999s
Question Info on Dwarf RTBs

I'm considering taking in a Dwarf red tail boa. She's currently 3 ft long in a 36x18x18 Exoterra. Her current owner believes her to be a few years old and probably full grown. Any input on this? She'd also have to convert from live to FT. We'd both benefit from some hook training because she's a very strong feeder. My BPs are hook trained. My solid experience is with corns, BPs, one AHS and Rosie's. I'm new to DRMB and Dumerils. This same person is also rehoming his GTP, which I posted about in the arboreal discussion area. What do people think? I'm 53. My biggest snakes are a 7ft female Dumerils, a 6ft male DRMB and a 4ft female BP.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
elena
Do you know the locality? There are several dwarf localities with considerable size variance. Some of the smallest may be fully grown at about that size. Got a pic?

Old 02-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
bcr229
The smallest of the dwarf localities is the Tarahumara. Females top out around 4.5 feet and would certainly be comfortable in a 40-breeder size enclosure. I have two and run them in 41-qt tubs.

They have a good food response but no stronger than a Dumerils boa. Hook training is never a bad idea with them as they can be a bit defensive when young. My adults have chilled out with consistent and gentle handling though.

They are the ideal boa to keep for someone who wants to keep a BCI but who doesn't have the living space available for a 48" enclosure.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #4
DLenaRuth999s
I'm working on getting pictures up. I've never done it on here.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
DLenaRuth999s
I made my first album! This is the dwarf boa I'm thinking to adopt, based on how big it will get. The locality is unknown because she was an abuse case, so the current owner doesn't have any specifics.

What do you peoples think?

Old 02-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
elena
Lower saddle count and cleaner color suggest potential Colombian influence, which would mean that she may not be all dwarf. Any chance you know her age and feeding schedule? That might be able to give us some clues. However, Colombian influence would also create the potential for a better temperament than most pure CA boas.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
Pretty boa! Why do they think dwarf?
I am not seeing a 'dwarf' locality there (dwarf are usually various Central American or Hog Isle localities)

Boas will continue to grow their entire lives, even with a slow start.
'Dwarf's just tend to stay on the smaller side in the 4-5' range while the much more common Colombian (and some Central Americans) will get 5-8'+

Old 02-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #8
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
I am not seeing a 'dwarf' locality there (dwarf are usually various Central American or Hog Isle localities)

Boas will continue to grow their entire lives, even with a slow start.
Ayup. That's a common BCI, no dwarf lineage. Fed correctly I'd expect it to get at least 5-6 feet long, maybe more if female. Expect to need a larger enclosure than it's in now in the near future.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!