Two Headed Rattlesnake Found - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:49 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Two Headed Rattlesnake Found

Dr. Chris McAllister, visiting assistant biology professor, discovered this two-headed Western Diamond Back Rattlesnake at a ranch in Christoval, Texas. The Tri Beta biology club and a few faculty were taking a field trip to the ranch to collect specimens and amphibians when the one-month-old snake was found.

McAllister believes the snake was originally going to be an identical twin. Both heads are functional, although the left seems to be more dominant, and so far the snake has not tried to strike. McAllister plans to do extensive research on the anatomy of the snake, and as far as he knows, this is the first report of a rattlesnake of this kind.

Link to story and photo

Old 09-24-2005, 10:45 AM   #2
gmherps
that's cool.

Old 09-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #3
Junkyard
Thats something else, good for them. Lets hope their extensive anatomy research does not involve the removal of its life.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
Thats something else, good for them. Lets hope their extensive anatomy research does not involve the removal of its life.
I'm afraid that might happen. I don't see much way to do any "extensive" anatomical research without seeing the inside of it.
I would hope that he would do physiological and behavioral reasearch as long as it is living and not suffering, then should it die prematurely take a look at the organs and skeletal development.
There's the possibility that it could grow to a full adult. I'd like to think it has that chance, but I don't know.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
Jim O
Certainly skeletal anatomy can be studied radiographically as can organ development. Eventually, however, this baby is likely to be "sacrificed" in the name of "science".

Old 09-24-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
Junkyard
I found Dr. McAllisters e-mail address and invited him to come on and enlighten us on his rattlesnake findings. This is it here for everyone else who is interested in e-mailing him along with his number for those who would like to speak to him:

Chris.McAllister@angelo.edu
(325)942-2189 ext 234

Old 09-25-2005, 09:19 PM   #7
Junkyard
I have received an e-mail back from Dr McAllister:

Quote:
Yes, I have the snake and it is still alive. I attempted to feed it2 small "pinkies" and it refused for the past 24+hrs. It never would strike at them (or me) and I doubt veryseriously it will ever attempt to eat. When found it was noticeablyunderweight and perhaps has never eaten, who knows? The heads areclose together and one appears almost parasitic. I will try anotherfeeding before deciding how to proceed.

I've already had it X-rayed for bone structure. When it dies, Iwill examine the soft anatomy of the neck region where both headsunite. The snake will be deposited as a voucher specimen in ourherpetological collection. Indeed, in the name of science, this iswhat will and must be done, regardless of who wants to argue (ordebate) with me about this point. In order to publish a paper in arefereed herpetological journal or any reputable science journal for thatmatter, voucher specimens must be on deposit in an accredited museumcollection and the accession number included in the manuscript. Anything less, is pure anecdotal literature.

I have worked with herps for more than 25 years and I will simply notallow this unique specimen to starve a slow death because it refuses toeat. So if euthanasia is the only humane option, I will be sure to followstrict herpetological guidelines for such.

Thanks for your interest,

Dr. Mac

Chris T. McAllister, Ph.D.
Managing Editor-JAAS
Dept. of Biology
Angelo State University
Cavness Sci. Bldg. 108A
San Angelo, TX 76909
voice: 325/942-2189, ext 234
email: chris.mcallister@angelo.edu
dept. web page:http://www.angelo.edu/dept/biology/

Old 09-28-2005, 02:46 AM   #8
hhmoore
I would hope that the care of this "unique specimen" is being guided by someone that is experienced with keeping baby rattlesnakes. The idea of euthanizing a 1 month old rattlesnake because it refused to eat a pinky after 2 or 3 attempts is ludicrous. I have had regular ol' western diamondback babies (you know, the ones that have only one head) that have refused pinkies for longer than that. When it is obvious the thing is going to die, then I don't have a problem with euthanasia...but when it is behaving no differently than should be expected????? C'mon doc - it isn't as though no two headed snakes have ever managed to capture and eat prey in captivity...what's the rush?

Old 10-05-2005, 09:18 PM   #9
SJReptiles
After reading the Dr.'s reply, I get the sense that he is not at all disappointed that the animal is not feeding, and gleefully anticipating seeing his words printed in some acedemic journal. For anyone interested in animals with this particular condition, it is know as "Axial Bifurcation". There has neem one book dedicated to this subject, the author was Bert Cunningham.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:29 AM   #10
Clay Davenport
Followup

Well, the the email posted earlier was on 9/25 and as of this 10/12 press release the snake has been euthanized. So it was kept at the very most 17 days, that is if it was euthanized the day before this article was printed.
---------------------------------------------------------------

SAN ANGELO, Texas — Angelo State University is getting an unusual addition to its collection of reptiles and amphibians: a two-headed rattlesnake.
ADVERTISEMENT

Chris McAllister, a visiting professor of biology at Angelo State University in San Angelo, said he found the snake after turning over 400 to 500 rocks last month at a Christoval-area ranch, where he and students were scouring for interesting specimens.

While two-headed rat snakes and king snakes are relatively common, a two-headed rattler is not, McAllister said.

The tiny Western diamondback rattler, about as thick as an adult human finger, was less than a foot long and appeared to be a month old, he said. The heads were fused at the neck and functional, although the left head seemed to be the more dominant.

Both tongues flicked out of the mouths, and all four eyes were open, he said. Each head had a full set of fangs, but the snake didn't try to strike at him. In fact, it was lethargic and refused to eat so he euthanized it, he said.

McAllister discovered it had two hearts, two gall bladders, two tracheae and a divided liver.

"They're very important in controlling the rodent population," said McAllister, who was hospitalized for a week in 1996 after being bitten by a rattler. "They're an important part of the ecosystem."

Link to story

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!