Bad Guy Brandon Griffey - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #121
Bill T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileGeek181 View Post
Stress ulcers are single or multiple mucosal defects which can become complicated by upper gastrointestinal bleeding during the physiologic stress of serious illness.
That’s right you just don’t develop stress ulcers from being stressed.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #122
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileGeek181
Stress ulcers are single or multiple mucosal defects which can become complicated by upper gastrointestinal bleeding during the physiologic stress of serious illness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_ulcer

Way to take the first line of the very first search result Google yields, and regurgitate it as your own words. Plagiarize, much..?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #123
ReptileGeek181
Cool assumption bro! Lol I never claimed it was my own words but ok

Old 05-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #124
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexPredatorBoids View Post

Feel free to point out ANY evidence that shows there was a pre-existing illness. According to what Google tells me, the most serious issues shown in the vet report can be laid squarely at the feet of the toxins produced from the Salmonella infection. An active INFECTION, not the mere fact that Salmonella was present at all.

There's nothing to show that the ulcers were there before the snake was shipped.
Based on what evidence we have here, the Salmonella (which harmlessly resides in the GI tracts of MANY reptiles) infected the ulcers that were found. Whether the ulcers came first, and the Salmonella took advantage of the opening, or whether the weakened immune system, that the stress caused, allowed the Salmonella to actually cause the ulcers, it still seems to boil down to one thing: stress-induced illness.

Out of all parties involved, who's freely admitted to putting it in the most stressful situations..?

You're doing nothing more than harping on the effect in order to try to produce an emotional response that'll cloud the real issue: The most likely cause. You're going out of your way to treat the cause in the most dismissive manner possible. Let's all get worked up over the fact that it died quickly and not really examine exactly why it happened.
It seems like this excellent post needs to be repeated.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #125
Neon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
Do you know what causes stress ulcers ?
Stress

I should clarify that what I was intending to say is that stress is an irritant to ulcers just like us. (My understanding of them is limited but I believe stress is a blanket term for the varying kinds of ulcers that can be promoted through stress and some of which can be caused by SEVERE stress.)

The point I was trying to make is there is absolutely no way to say without a shadow of doubt if they were pre-existing or not. Had he taken the time to quarantine or even waited for him to eat ONCE while in his care he would have been able to notice unusual behavior - I imagine an animal with ulcers would have side affects when digesting a meal especially (regurgitation, diarrhea, etc.). Did he quarantine his females after receiving them? What if they carried an ulcer-causing bacteria that they then passed on to him? But because that evidence and observation is non-existent he really can't blame the seller (though that also means he, Brandon, can't be really blamed as well since there is equally as much proof that the condition developed with him).

Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #126
Kevin S
question

How many vets have replied to this thread, everyone seams to be one now. the matter of fact is the snake is dead, and the buyer should be compensated. Im sorry to see Xavier have to lose but the snake was in his collection the longest, and since we are all speculating, what if the deal went down 8 days later? and it died the next day? No one has a crystal ball to forsee the future, the right thing to do would be either offer a refund of some type.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #127
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
How many vets have replied to this thread, everyone seams to be one now. the matter of fact is the snake is dead, and the buyer should be compensated. Im sorry to see Xavier have to lose but the snake was in his collection the longest, and since we are all speculating, what if the deal went down 8 days later? and it died the next day? No one has a crystal ball to forsee the future, the right thing to do would be either offer a refund of some type.

King Kevin.

We have been discussing for many pages the complexities here, and many experienced keepers are offering their own points of view, yet here you are, telling us what the right thing is, and what the facts are. We could have saved a lot of time had you shown up earlier

Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #128
Kevin S
wow

Lucy, sound like you may be... Lets keep the topic to what it is , there is a dead snake . That is the fact, maybe xaviers fault, maybe brandon i dont know, What i do know is when other hobbyiest see this they wont be to sure on trades with anyone, as this thread is example of when it goes wrong and how it is resolved in the wrong way. there should be a middle ground that works out for both parties.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #129
DesertRat73
Quote:
Had the practices on the receiving end not been so abhorrent, your resolution would be reasonable, but this is not that circumstance. While not a full fledged Vet, here ya go(you only missed it by one page):

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyderHouseHerps View Post
Concerning the diagnosis, internal ulcers are not the same as external and the type specified by the necropsy report were in the intestinal tract (large and small intestines), which has numerous bacteria (like salmonella) and digestive enzymes which contribute to ulceration in larger amounts than normal. Most, if not all reptiles, have an increased amount of these digestive enzymes to digest whole prey items, carion, and detritis that all carry an increased number of bacteria (think of it as increased stomach acid to kill the bacteria and make it safe for the animal to eat). So the point that the ulcers were caused at day 3, or before shipping is moot. We don't know, the vet doesn't know, so it's open to speculation. The only exception to this would be IF the vet had told Xavier that the ulcers were EXTREMELY large. That would be the closest to proof that they were preexisting.
Just because an animal gets sick once, does NOT mean it has a higher potential to get sick again. In fact, sometimes it's the exact opposite, especially if it develops antibodies towards a certain virus. I can't speak for anyone else's collection, but in my experiences as a vet tech, and in my own collection, this has not been the case. I have seen one or two cases where there's an underlying immunity problem where the animal is predisposed to a certain condition, such as RI and is more succeptible if the temp drops briefly. But I have treated numerous animals for infections, viruses, and parasites that have never recurred and some that may recur one or two times. It just depends on the animal, the environment, husbandry, genetics, age, etc.

I also wanted to add that each breeder has his/her own personal live guaranantee policies. Mine is 7 days and its stated on my website. So in this case, it wouldn't be covered. However, I would still try to meet them halfway because the situation is a gray area- the snake being so young, being bred before shipping (stress) and the other half- being shipped, flown, bred, and in an unfamiliar environment with no adjustment period (of even a week) (more stress). I'd have to take a percentage of that responsibility. I think this is just one of those situations where you have to look at the policies and the situation carefully and make a decision based on what you think is right. When you have money wrapped up in a live animal, that's the risk involved (on both sides).
... said the Vet tech.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #130
Fangthane
Quote:
Lucy, sound like you may be... Lets keep the topic to what it is , there is a dead snake . That is the fact, maybe xaviers fault, maybe brandon i dont know, What i do know is when other hobbyiest see this they wont be to sure on trades with anyone, as this thread is example of when it goes wrong and how it is resolved in the wrong way. there should be a middle ground that works out for both parties.
Thank you, Capt. Obvious, for pointing that the snake is dead. I'm fairly sure we've all managed to crack that part of the code, by now. As a hobbyist, you're definitely not speaking for me, in regards to any sense of being unsure about trades in the future. Especially when concerning the actual principals in this situation.

I have this nagging bad habit of wanting to examine things objectively and rationally before coming to a conclusion. And, having read this entire thread, and spent alot of time on Google, this is the conclusion I've reached: I'd gladly buy from a seller, like Xavier, who's conducted himself professionally and has been shown to have done nothing wrong in this situation. Nothing that I can see, at least.

The buyers are another case entirely. They've shown piss-poor judgement and husbandry practices. While trying to hide behind the "everyone does it" mentality. It appears that we'll never know exactly what happened, but based on analysis of the context clues made available here, it's not very hard to come to a very likely hypothesis that puts them in the position of being culpable.

This whole thread is a prime example of why little, if anything, is generally offered beyond a live arrival guarantee. A seller shouldn't be responsible for a buyer's negligent practices.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!