Adenovirus Questions - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #31
shadi11
contact this person. She is back in the office the 20th and shes who is running the tests

Lou Ann Miller, MT(ASCP)
Service Supervisor
Center for Microscopic Imaging
College of Veterinary Medicine
Rm 1204 VMBSB
2001 S Lincoln Ave
Urbana, IL 61802

Ph#: 217-244-1567
Email: lamiller@uiuc.edu

Old 11-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #32
Bar None Reptiles
New test

I spoke with my vet today and she informed me that the lab she uses, California avian, has a new test that they take a blood sample and cloacal swab and can test more accurately for adeno. She quoted the cost to me as around $90. This test makes it a little easier since there is no need to obtain a fresh fecal and stain it within the required time. If anyone would like to contact my vet for more information as she could explain this alot better than I could, or if you would like your veterinarian to look into this test please feel free to give her a call as she is an amazing vet in my opinion. (631)325-1611 Hampton Vet Hospital and her name is Dr. Karen Johnston. From my conversation with her it appears that this test is more accurate and very new in that most labs do not even have it on their list yet.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:38 PM   #33
Denisebme
Dr. Jacobsen also offers PCR testing, which is more effective than fecal testing, for about $65 I believe.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:17 AM   #34
Bar None Reptiles
Yeah, I think that was the name she gave me for the test. It was all kind of a blur as I had literally walked in the door from work. It was probably with them extracting the blood and all in the office the final price for all considered. Plus, nothing out here in the Hamptons is cheap.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:39 PM   #35
Rebel Dragons
After talking to a ton of people and researching to the best of my ability, we decided to send out samples of all of our dragons this coming week. What better way to start off the new year, right?

Although I am not 100% confident in the test or the results, it's the only thing we have. Better to utilize the what we have now and go with those results than rely on a hope and a prayer.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:14 PM   #36
Bar None Reptiles

I completely agree and have been in the process of gathering the samples required for the tests as well. It's not as easy as it sounds to get a fresh sample tho, unless I plan on camping out in the dragon room. Sneaky lil buggers. But I refuse to take any chances and unless I watch the sample come directly from that dragon, I won't take it. I actually refuse to start any breeding attempts until I have the results in hand. It's just not worth the risk to me. I would rather know for certain. Some of the girls aren't too happy with me about that right now, but they will thank me in the end I am sure.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #37
Dachiu
After researching through some materials that we have obtained - we came across some interesting information…

The MSDS for Adenovirus do list a disinfectant susceptibility to 1% sodium hypochlorite for 30 minutes. (Section IV) http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/msds-ftss/msds3e.html

Contrary to what we have been told by medical professionals about bleach -
We have a gallon of regular Clorox that lists 6% sodium hypochlorite as an active ingredient. If mixed with water at 20-25% Clorox - this should be sufficient (at 1.2-1.5%) to disinfect a cage and its accessories.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 01-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #38
Bar None Reptiles
I got this from Lou Ann at the College of Veterinary Medicine in IL. She's going to be doing my tests and I asked her what she thought about bleach being able to kill the virus.

disinfectants such as 1% sodium hypochlorite and 2% glutaraldehyde.

Most effective germicides (15 minute minimum contact time) are phenol
(5%) or sodium hypochlorite (bleach diluted to 200 ppm).

The most effective germicide (with a minimum 15 min. contact time) is a
1% Sodium hypochlorite (bleach)

Spills: Allow aerosols to settle for 15 minutes; wear protective
clothing and gently cover the spill with adsorbent paper towel and
apply freshly prepared 10% sodium hypochlorite starting at the
perimeter and working towards the center; allow at least 30 minutes
contact time before clean up.

# The most effective germicides (with a minimum 15 min. contact time)
are:

* Phenol (5%)
* Sodium hypochlorite (household bleach diluted to 200 ppm or 10%).

Old 01-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #39
walker75
Has everyone that said they where going to test there dragons done so

and then just forgot to post the results

I was just wondering b/c they should be breeding soon if not already

Old 01-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #40
whiskersmom
I had my two tested and gratefully the results were negative. My female isn't ready to breed yet, so I've got a little bit of time but I will have them both tested again before I breed them.
Good luck to everyone else.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!