Bad Guy BEWARE SHIPPING DHL... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
warriorscreed
BEWARE SHIPPING DHL...

Beware shipping DHL... last week we shipped out a 3 ft savannah monitor via DHL. well they lost him. 5 days later and countless phone inquiries they have yet to locate the fore mentioned lizard and are making little effort to locate him. we have called several times a day over the past few days and expressed the importantance of locating and warming this lizard they are showing little interest in locating him.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Suncoast Herpetological
Clayton

You do realize that DHL has never knowingly shipped live animals right?

Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
macspoison
DHL shipped $1200 in turtles from Clive Longden in Florida to me in Diego and left them on the front steps in the sun, heat etc. The package even read shade, keep cool yadda, yadda, yadda. The office that took the package and sent it even realized that the box was to remain there for pick-up. The delivery driver didnt read "good english" I was told.

Every turtle died in that shipment, albino red ears, diamond backs, cb black knobs and o' so many others. I was told on the phone how sorry and it was obviously their fault.

They did NOTHING about it. In the end the man yelled back at me, after an hour of debating, "If the plane goes down and NOTHING survives, we do not guarantee live animals."

I had to pay for those turtles. Clive gave me a break on how fast I had to pay him back but it was DHL's fault and yet mine. That is one company I will not do business with.
Mac

Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
macspoison
Oh, and thats San Diego..
Mac

Old 12-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
hhmoore
That isn't exactly true, John. Live animals fall under DHL's Restricted Commodities, and lizards are acceptable...though I'm not sure if their animal permit is required.
http://www.dhl-usa.com/resources/Pro...ommodities.pdf

Clayton, was the savannah shipped overnight? And you're seriously saying that with the tracking number they are unable to locate it...and don't seem to be making any effort to do so? (this is actually no surprise to me, given my past experiences with them)

Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
ToshaMc
DHL has always been a crappy shipper -- thats not news.

From what I understand since their corporate meltdown they aren't even offering priority service anymore -- but that's just what I've heard.

Hope they find the lizard in time.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
lanceheads
From what I understand, DHL will no longer do any domestic shipments after the first of the year. Only International shipments.

Randal

Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
warriorscreed
yes, he was shipped overnight "express" and it is in dhl's small animals waiver. It just doesent include snakes. it includes non poisoness lizzards as it was explained to me. Overnight express has just turned into 6 days. Dhl is advertising that they are going strictly international with all their shipments, wonder how long it will take to get a packaage to london or germany. when they can't handle 5 state borders.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
KNOBTAIL
Angry Was it a question of funds

or did you not have an account with FeDex or UPS to make your life easier. DHL is and has always been a poor carrier for living material. I would never even use them for fruitflies ! The cost of using a more reliable carrier is certainly worth the expense of getting the animals alive and in a timely fashion then having to go through the nightmare that you are currently experiencing... If this was done because DHL was cheaper, then its a terrible lesson on you and the poor reptile that deserved a little more consideration. In either case, your actions were a poor choice if the carrier was yours to choose. If not, then the liability rests on the shipper.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
Bill
DHL

I've never had issues with DHL, they seem a little less expensive than the others, but I did go there last week to ship and they are not accepting any Domestic shipping only International as they are closing locations.
So looks like no one has to worry about DHL anymore.

Bill Black

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!