Help with genetics? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Pythonbreeder99
Oh my! Never knew how dramatic the color was on them! And thanks for the info, the pics were taken right when I got them, they are much heavier now.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
GreenTreePython13
Much heavier in person too. Picture don't do much justice.

Here's a close up of one of the females (The one in the top picture.) Might be able to see pattern/color better

Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
GreenTreePython13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonbreeder99 View Post
I was told was "they carry all four color morphs"
Also just want to add that we were told they carry four main base colors, not morphs. I know of a good 22 types of bull snake morphs.

What I'm most curious about is can they carry traits for 4 different colors and not display them, but have them displayed in offspring if paired with another snake that carries the same traits.

And, are bulls polymorphic?

Also, I believe the bottom male to be a salt and pepper whitesided.
Here's a picture of salt and pepper. He looks almost identical (except for the sides) to our guy.

I'm almost positive the two girls are hypos. As for the second, yellow male, he's still kind of a mystery to me.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
hhmoore
Many of the bullsnake morphs are simple recessive, so they could "carry" those traits without displaying them....of course, depending on where they came from, I wouldn't necessarily believe that. I bought a male whitesided from a CT person that made a similar claim - bred him to multiple morphs over a period of years, and never got anything but whitesideds and hets from him.

As far as the "color" thing - again, it depends on who you are talking to. Morphs are just genetic anomolies of color and/or pattern...hypomelanism and albinism are considered color morphs, for example. A light colored bull is not automatically a hypo, either. Several years ago, I acquired a very pretty yellow male, that looked very much like a hypo...but, while he produced very nice, light colored babies, he did not produce hypos when bred to hypos.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
DISCERN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTreePython13 View Post
I'm almost positive the two girls are hypos. As for the second, yellow male, he's still kind of a mystery to me.
I think that male, if it is the one I am thinking of, is a hypo as well, a reduced pattern one. I have a female that I think looks somewhat similar, and she came from hypo bull breedings.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
GreenTreePython13
Billy, they do look very similar.

These guys came from clutches with 4 phenotypes displayed in the offspring. Also, the guy we got them from said, "When I bred them the first time I got 4 different morphs each from 2 different pairs in the pop." I believe he was referring to the parents of these 4 guys because I know for a fact that the two girls have never produced.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #17
DISCERN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTreePython13 View Post
Billy, they do look very similar.

These guys came from clutches with 4 phenotypes displayed in the offspring. Also, the guy we got them from said, "When I bred them the first time I got 4 different morphs each from 2 different pairs in the pop." I believe he was referring to the parents of these 4 guys because I know for a fact that the two girls have never produced.
But did he get 4 actual different morphs or many different colors/shades of hypos along with a few actual morphs? In other words, did he clarify as to what actual morphs they were? You can have morphs and then different shades of colors, etc. within morphs.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #18
GreenTreePython13
I'm not positive. He did say he got reds and I'm pretty sure salt and pepper

Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
Pythonbreeder99
For all of you who don't know, meet my business partner Stacy lol.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #20
GreenTreePython13
=P oh yeah, hi! I'm Cody's business partner... haha

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!