Change in highlighting function of classified ads - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Is the new highlighting function in classified ads better?
Yes, better! 31 46.27%
Nope, I liked the old way better. 29 43.28%
Looks the same to me. 4 5.97%
What is highlighting? 3 4.48%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #31
the gecko geek
Aww man, here I was hoping that the color picker would be for all paid members it goes to the most expensive membership level only! Hahaha. Ohwell, its still a cool addition in my book! Even if i cant use it. Maybe later on down the road it will be passed on to the lower levels of the totem pole.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #32
SERPENTS DEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
My programmer just implemented an addition to the highlighting feature for the classified ads. It allows a member to select an custom color they want for the highlighting via a color picker panel.

I thought this would be an excellent perk for the Endowment level paid members, since it will impart some exclusivity to their classified ads.

That's a hefty cost to have to pay for having the option to use a custom color. I think you would have more participants if you gave that perk to Benefactor and Endowment level contributors.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #33
the gecko geek
I was thinking the same thing.
And most of the time the endowment level contributors arent even on the site often enough to even know about the feature..mostly because a good majority of them are running a business of their own and just come on to post ads..

I think you would see an increase of just contributor level members if the option was given to them. Who wouldn't pay $25 to make all their ads a certain color? It gives everyone the option to make their ads "their own"

From a business aspect it makes no sense to make it the most expensive option.
IMO that is..

Old 10-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #34
WebSlave
However, on the other hand, I have had people claim that the Endowment level membership doesn't offer enough perks to be worth the extra money.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #35
SERPENTS DEN
Quote:
However, on the other hand, I have had people claim that the Endowment level membership doesn't offer enough perks to be worth the extra money.

You have the many site members that won't contribute 25.00 to receive the perks of a highlighted ad etc now your talking 250.00 for a custom color.

One perk you can give to a Benefactor contributor is perhaps a small banner ad.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #36
the gecko geek
Are those people that say that contributing members of some sort? Because most of thr time people just say bs like that because they don't want to have to pay for anything.

And would choosing the color of their ads be satisfying to them? Endowment is what $250 a year right? People that want the option of highlighting their ads won't step up to that level just for that. Because its not worth the extra money just for that and the other memory/storage/pic size perks as well. People that are paying that much should get a lot for what they contribute. I'm not saying that they don't already.

I just think you would get a lot more response to it if it was available to any paying member. I was getting ready to upgrade to a contributor status just for the highlighting in my own color aspect, but not if its gonna cost me that much.

I do think its a good idea, I just dont think its worth that much money to me.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #37
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post
Are those people that say that contributing members of some sort? Because most of thr time people just say bs like that because they don't want to have to pay for anything.

And would choosing the color of their ads be satisfying to them? Endowment is what $250 a year right? People that want the option of highlighting their ads won't step up to that level just for that. Because its not worth the extra money just for that and the other memory/storage/pic size perks as well. People that are paying that much should get a lot for what they contribute. I'm not saying that they don't already.

I just think you would get a lot more response to it if it was available to any paying member. I was getting ready to upgrade to a contributor status just for the highlighting in my own color aspect, but not if its gonna cost me that much.

I do think its a good idea, I just dont think its worth that much money to me.
Well you are supporting my thoughts that this is the correct path I need to take, apparently. I need to make the Endowment level worth more to people to entice them to be willing to pay for it. Which is exactly why I chose to make this new mod available ONLY to that level of membership.

Getting a lot more response to utilize this perk was not my intention. Many people in this thread alone have been complaining about the change in the way the highlighting now works, saying it is a bit of overkill. This helps to reinforce my thoughts that allowing more people to utilize the option of custom colors would only make this worse in that regard.

Well, like everything else I have changed on this site, we'll just have to see how it works out, I guess.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #38
the gecko geek
There are arguments for both sides, and only you get to make the call at the end of the day. I like the idea, and if I was in a situation where I could afford the $$ to get the perk I would.

And you are right, we will just have to see how it works out.
I do think that it's a cool idea.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #39
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek
most of the time the endowment level contributors arent even on the site often enough to even know about the feature..mostly because a good majority of them are running a business of their own and just come on to post ads..
Well....the name of this site IS FaunaClassifieds
And, when even if they don't read about it in this thread, I suspect that one of two things would happen - they would see the new option when they went to highlight their ad; or they would see other people with colors they hadn't noticed before, and investigate or ask.
Quote:
I think you would see an increase of just contributor level members if the option was given to them. Who wouldn't pay $25 to make all their ads a certain color? It gives everyone the option to make their ads "their own"
Perhaps...assuming that the goal of this change is to entice people to make the jump to the lowest level of paid membership. It isn't as if Rich is taking away the option of bumping and highlighting ads for Contributors; he's just expanding that option for people that Contribute more. How does that NOT make sense?
Quote:
From a business aspect it makes no sense to make it the most expensive option
Ahhhh - from the business aspect. I suppose on one level, it makes sense to offer as much as possible to the people that make the lowest contributions...but I consider that the aspect of the registered members, because it might just get them to pay $25. I do understand your point, in that people are more likely to pay $25 than $250; and that volume would make up the difference between membership levels. Maybe I should try that logic at the Lexus dealership - maybe I can convince them that if they put their best models out at used car lot prices, their sales volume would jump so much that it would be worthwhile.
Your arguments seem to take the opinion that the whole goal here is to entice people to pay $25....guess what - most registered members still won't pay. And if they do, a large percentage of them won't pay again next year.
I, for one, think lessening the impact of this option is a great idea. The classifieds would be a psychedelic nightmare; and the function wouldn't really serve to make the highlighted ads more noticeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post
Yes, we've noticed....and right along with that are the people that were just going to pay for membership; but, suddenly, because of some perceived slight or lost benefit, they aren't going to.
Quote:
Wow - look at that, lol.
Quote:
Well, if the Endowment level membership isn't worth the price for the current list of perks....wouldn't it make sense to boost those perks with something that offers some exclusivity? At the endowment level, the majority of the benefits are centered around advertising; and part of that reason is that most of the people at that level are businesses. While I don't think I have ever voiced the opinion that the Endowment level doesn't offer enough; I can understand where many members would look at what is offered and state that there isn't enough to justify the jump to the extra cost in comparison to the other two. Here's a hint, though - most of the people contributing at that level doing it for the goody bag that comes with the payment....they are doing it because they like the site, and want to show their support.
Does that mean that Rich should not try to offer them a little more, if there is an opportunity; rather than handing out new tricks and treats to appease the masses that struggle with the idea of $25/yr?

Quote:
Well you are supporting my thoughts that this is the correct path I need to take, apparently. I need to make the Endowment level worth more to people to entice them to be willing to pay for it. Which is exactly why I chose to make this new mod available ONLY to that level of membership.

Getting a lot more response to utilize this perk was not my intention. Many people in this thread alone have been complaining about the change in the way the highlighting now works, saying it is a bit of overkill. This helps to reinforce my thoughts that allowing more people to utilize the option of custom colors would only make this worse in that regard.

Well, like everything else I have changed on this site, we'll just have to see how it works out, I guess.
I started my response before you added this Rich (yeah - it took awhile, in part because I walked away to go eat dinner, lol); but I'm pretty sure my response supports the sentiment you just expressed. I think reserving this option for the higher membership level (possibly opening it to the benefactor level after some consideration of the impact) is a good idea...and a nice offering to the group that typically asks for the least.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #40
hhmoore
BTW - I like the color selector
I still have a little tweaking to do, in order to get my color right where I want it, but I didn't want to take the time with it tonight.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!