BOI Grand Jury - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #21
JColt
Just my thought. Make all bad guy posts have to be revieved before it is posted. Have certain criteria that has to be included or it gets kicked back to op. If criteria is not done correctly it will not be posted.

Any and all who make nonsense replies in the Boi get three warnings.. After 3 warnings a month ban from viewing the Boi. No flaming, No "Do not sell or Do not buy from" posts, no - posting any thing that does not relate directly to the post.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #22
JColt
Also Post title should not be allowed to be suggestive. Like JColt - Crook/Liar. User's name or Username with the correct icon selected.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #23
JudyC
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post
... Americans are lazy...they WON'T take the time to read the bad guy posts about someone. They just see the red and turn away. And what do young people hate to do because they were forced to all throughout school? READ!
So...we keep redefining how we go about our lives because SOME people are too lazy to do what needs to be done? Ever see the Disney movie WALL-E?

I'm sick and tired of people wanting to TURN DOWN our expectations of the world around us to meet some lowest-common-denominator. It's ridiculous.

I realize your post is about concern for the sellers who might be losing lazy customers...but quite frankly, I think that's bull anyhow. Those lazy people will burn themselves and learn their lesson and then come back and do it the right way. If they can't...then they're probably not that much value as a customer anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Also Post title should not be allowed to be suggestive. Like JColt - Crook/Liar. User's name or Username with the correct icon selected.
There's a million different ways it COULD be done....running the BOI, I mean. All of them have their pros and cons...none of them are perfect. All of them would be liked by some and hated by some.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #24
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
There's a million different ways it COULD be done....running the BOI, I mean. All of them have their pros and cons...none of them are perfect. All of them would be liked by some and hated by some.
Yes many different ways. I feel some ways have more professional feel to it though. Problem is while 70% or so will make a decent post it is the other % and the responder's who cloud it up and make it a headache. The Boi to me should be professional. I would even forgo smilies. Again just my opinion and suggestion. I do not think I have all the answers or am I trying to tell webslave how things should be on his site. Just engaging the conversation.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #25
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Again just my opinion and suggestion. I do not think I have all the answers
But, who knows, you might have some of them. This is a rare site, where suggestions (as long as they are courteous) are read and some even chosen to help the site.
I remember vaguely someone suggesting an easier way to comb the BOI when they were researching a seller, and I believe from that suggestion the new BOI button was born.

Not everyone will always agree with you when you post opinions, but that doesn't mean that your thoughts are not valued.
(I myself do not want anyone predigesting my thoughts on various situations posted here, I like having the freedom to think through and decide what is important to me, so a pre-BOI would not be something that would appeal to me personally).
But bringing your thoughts here for others to see takes some effort, and efforts like that help make this site what it is.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #26
the gecko geek
Because this is just another instance of punishing the many for the mistakes of the few..
We're talking about the threads that one person gets hot headed over something small, then the accused gets hot headed over that, a small argument occurs between the two and they apologize publicly and/or privately and the accused still has the blemish of a pointless bad guy thread on their reputation.

Yes, those who read the whole thread will see the reality of the situation, but let's face it, not many people have the time to read an 8 page BOI thread all the way through. People just look through the classifieds, see an animal they like, click the BOI button and look for green checks and red x's.

Someone please tell me how that is fair to the person's reputation?!

And you know what I have noticed in the year of being a member on this site? It's always the same 50-100 people showing up in the BOI that actually follow up on the threads looking for solid evidence. There are how many members again? Last time I checked it was right around 59,000..

So what about the other 58,900 members that don't follow up pn the BOI threads? Those are the people that is the grand jury of fauna. The people that aren't reading, trying to get hard evidence, or doing anything but looking for checks and x's are the people that someone has to try and persuade they arent a bad guy just because of that red x they saw when they ran a search.

This is something that is wrong with the BOI. Shoot, its whats wrong with the government of this country for crying out loud..someone can break into your house, cut themselves on an open drawer, sue you, and win. Tell me how that's fair?

I'm all for being held responsible for your actions, that's how I was raised. But why do I have to be responsible for Joe Schmo's false accusation about me?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #27
the gecko geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
I realize your post is about concern for the sellers who might be losing lazy customers...but quite frankly, I think that's bull anyhow. Those lazy people will burn themselves and learn their lesson and then come back and do it the right way. If they can't...then they're probably not that much value as a customer anyhow.
Or that person takes their bad experience and exposes it to the media in some way/shape/form and in turn just makes the reptile hobby look even more like a terrible place..

There are many different options that could be considered, and I realize that its very hard to run something like the BOI, I just get tired of coming across all these threads full of false accusations..

Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #28
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post
I just get tired of coming across all these threads full of false accusations..
I get tired of that too Jordan, and feel sorry sometimes for people that get jerked around.

But more control, more layers of administration, is not always a good answer. Look at what happens when our government tries to rule by paying for studies, for committees, etc. Usually it ends up being an expensive corrupt mess and the original problem is never solved.

A surprising number of good guys who have been wronged jerk right back, and readers help them do it.

It isn't a perfect system but the proposed alternatives have their own serious problems.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #29
lauraleellbp
IMO there's no ethical, reasonable, or desirable way to "police" common sense.

The BOI is a tool. Every tool in existence can be misused.

If someone is taking the time to do a BOI search and then doesn't bother to READ the threads they pull up with said search, then they're a poor researcher- pure and simple. There's no cure for that, and that's their own fault.

I suspect at least the majority of the 59,000 members here on Fauna have at least read ONE BOI thread during their time here, whether or not they posted. I, like most other people I know, don't actually post in the vast majority of the threads I read online. If you look at the number of views posted right next to each thread, you'll SEE that the majority of viewers don't post in threads.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #30
the gecko geek
The entire government is pretty corrupt, but that's a different story..

One idea I had for the BOI that I have seen problems with arising is that no one notifies the person accused of the thread for a while..in that time some people form opinions and a couple of pages go by and they look bad and then come back on the 5th page of people bashing them and have all the proof to turn the story around...

So my idea is that a BOI thread title can only be posted about someone's username. Then, the system automatically notifies the person with that username that a BOI thread was started with their username in the title. Similar to the notifications for PM'S or replies to other threads.
This way both parties are involved from the beginning.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!