Punctuation, Grammar Nazis, and Common Sense - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
JudyC
Punctuation, Grammar Nazis, and Common Sense

I thought I'd post this over here, rather than get dragged into an off-topic conversation in a BOI thread.

We've all seen the grammar nazis that are quick to point out improper sentence structure, spelling errors, and misused punctuation...apparently for no other reason than to make themselves feel better. We've also seem people that try to act like grammar nazis because they don't have any better come-back or rebuttal in an argument.

"Ohhh yeah? Well you spell bad, so there!"

Not a very convincing argument, if you ask me, which you didn't, but I'm saying it anyway. Neither of these two sorts contribute much to the online community, in my opinion.

On the other side of the spectrum though, are the people who come on and post a rather large paragraph in one giant run-on sentence without any punctuation or any attempt at logical word and thought order.

I don't consider myself a "grammar nazi"...I use rather casual punctuation myself, when typing in a "conversational" style such as this. I don't go out of my way to pick on people for lack of grammar skills, nor do I expect everyone to live up to some college English level of ability. I'm fluent in "typo" and am usually very patient about reading through mangled paragraphs and sentences.

A couple of times though, I have pointed out to someone who has been particularly egregious in their lack of basic punctuation or word sense, that it would HELP their case if they TRIED to use a little more punctuation and put a little more thought into how their words will come across to the readers.

I might have gotten a little snarky about it in my last attempt to point this out, but in all seriousness, I am not trying to "slam" anyone or pick on anyone...I'm making a very sincere attempt to offer advice on how they might strengthen their argument and their position.

It's just common sense to me...HOW you choose to present yourself here is how people are going to perceive you. If you do with with absolutely no regard for the process of getting your point across, then why do you think anyone will take your point seriously? If you take up a banner for a friend and want to defend him...you're not doing your friend any favors if you make yourself look foolish in the process. If you have a valid and serious argument you need to get across to people...you're not doing yourself any favors if they can't understand what you're trying to say.

I just needed to get that off my chest. Thank you, for those who chose to read it to the end.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
FosterHerpetological
I completely agree with you. If you type like a 14 year old who's texting, thats how people will think of you. If you type and present yourself professionally, then people will see you as just that.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
hhmoore
I'm sure I'm not the only one that quickly tires of trying to muddle through a run-on typo. If people can't manage to put together a post that I can comprehend without straining, and I don't have a specific interest in whatever they are trying to say...screw it. I've got better things to do with my time than trying to figure out what they mean. If it's important, they'll try again.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Helenthereef

I completely agree with you. If someone can't spell well, but their message is clear, who cares? But in the thread you are talking about, I got breathless just trying to follow the 100-line long single un-punctuated sentence... and so I never did follow his argument.

If you don't know where the full stops go (that's periods to you lot.... ) you could at least have a line break once in a while for your reader to stop and breathe.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
WebSlave
Well, I have to confess that typically any email or PM I get that requires me to have to try to interpret it, just gets ignored and sent to the trashcan. I am sorry that some never graduated beyond the two finger hunt and peck method of typing and have to use shortcuts to keep from wearing themselves out, but I am not willing to strain my brain trying to figure out just what in the world you are actually trying to say to me.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
radera5
Here we go:.....
I am actually glad you brought this here. As I do find it can be a bit more difficult to read at times (not arguing that), I also know that if I can spell I can read...and interpret.

I find it funny that no one could understand the post being talked about here. I read it, and understood just fine. Now if I WAS a college graduate or something maybe I would have an "upper" hand in this matter, the fact is though I am not. I just think it is silly.
Also, it didn't seem too sincere as you claim when you pointed this out. (in the post we are mostly referring to)

I guess if you can't read a run on paragraph, it seems like something might be JUST as wrong with you. If you just choose not to read it that is one thing but to say "oh I tried and it wore my brain out, or I couldn't understand it"....that is just funny to me.

Once again, all a matter of opinion.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
hhmoore
While I know what precipitated this thread, I'm treating it as a generic discussion. Some people just happen to feel that the best interpretations of people's posts are the literal ones - based on the author's words - and when that can't be determined due to significant typos and lack of structure, we don't want to try to interpret for them. I happen to be one of those people most of the time.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Writes posts that are legible, but yet, surprisingly void of anything but commas and periods and some spaces. I least i spell gooderer.......

Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
Writes posts that are legible, but yet, surprisingly void of anything but commas and periods and some spaces. I least i spell gooderer.......
I do make typos too. AT* not... I.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
JudyC
Amanda...it's advice. Pure and simple. That's totally fine with me if you choose to spend your time and mental energies wading through something that could be so much simpler if a person put just a tad more effort into separating complete thoughts.

Here....try this version. Tell me which you think makes my case stronger...

i thought id post this over here rather than get dragged into an offtopic conversation in a boi thread weve all seen the grammar nazis that are quick to point out improper sentence structure spelling errors and misused punctuation apparently for no other reason than to make themselves feel better weve also seem people that try to act like grammar nazis because they don't have any better comeback or rebuttal in an argument ohhh yeah well you spell bad so there not a very convincing argument if you ask me which you didn't but I'm saying it anyway neither of these two sorts contribute much to the online community in my opinion on the other side of the spectrum though are the people who come on and post a rather large paragraph in one giant runon sentence without any punctuation or any attempt at logical word and thought order i don't consider myself a grammar nazi i use rather casual punctuation myself when typing in a conversational style such as this i don't go out of my way to pick on people for lack of grammar skills nor do i expect everyone to live up to some college english level of ability im fluent in typo and am usually verypatient about reading through mangled paragraphs and sentences a couple of times though i have pointed out to someone who has been particularly egregious in their lack of basic punctuation or word sense that it would help their case if they tried to use a little more punctuation and put a little more thought into how their words will come across to the readers i might have gotten a little snarky about it in my last attempt to point this out but in all seriousness i am not trying to slam anyone or pick on anyone im making a very sincere attempt to offer advice on how they might strengthen their argument and their position its just common sense to me how you choose to present yourself here is how people are going to perceive you if you do with with absolutely no regard for the process of getting your point across then why do you think anyone will take your point seriously if you take up a banner for a friend and want to defend him your not doing youre friend any favors if you make yourself look foolish in the process if you have a valid and serious argument you need to get across to people your not doing yourself any favors if they cant understand what you're trying to say i just needed to get that off my chest thank you for those who chose to read it to the end

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!