Name Rule - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
SPJ
Name Rule

At my house, any time an animal gets a name, it cannot be sold.
I have one animal that I would like to sell but have been informed by my daughter that I cannot sell Casper.

Has anyone ever run into this problem? Any ideas of how to get around the name rule?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
Bill & Amy
Casper went home to visit his family, he might move him with his brother.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
techgirl
I'm lucky enough right now that my daughter is too young to start naming and keeping things. I explain to her every time we pick up feeder rats that they are for the snakes and she understands the concept of "all gone". She is getting to the point where she asks for animals when we go to the store and we are lucky that she hasn't had a tantrum yet when we say no. But if you find a good way around the name thing before she gets old enough to start doing it, let me know.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
WebSlave
Well, once my wife named a leopard gecko "For Sale".....

Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
jsrocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
At my house, any time an animal gets a name, it cannot be sold.
I have one animal that I would like to sell but have been informed by my daughter that I cannot sell Casper.

Has anyone ever run into this problem? Any ideas of how to get around the name rule?
Steve, you're hit on this one. The amazing ingenuity of a child to use your own words against you should never be underestimated. You can't sell Casper.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:26 PM   #6
monkeywrench133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Any ideas of how to get around the name rule?

Trade him, then sell the snake you get in the trade before she has a chance to name it.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:29 AM   #7
ravensgait
Ah kids!! lol my daughter who is all of 21 months has it figured out. All the animals are hers!! the horses the dogs the snakes the whatever .. She'll tell you they are hers lol and she wants a Buffalo in the worst way wants to ride one, every time she has seen them she says I Pet and I ride, also wants to feed them carrots. She wants an Elk too, have to find the pictures of her trying to go after some cow Elk and my wife trying to stop her, she wants them ALL...

Steve the only suggestion I have is to trade her something for the animal. I'll give you Bob if you let me have so and so...Randy

Old 06-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
Cat_72
The name rule is in full effect here too Steve, and I haven't found any way around it.

The only exception has been just recently when I didn't found out one had been named until after I told my daughter I had shipped him out that day, lol.....now she's sure to announce the naming as soon as it happens. "Sam" went to a most excellent home though, so that made it a little less traumatic.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
IloveSnakes1234
When I was little I did that... I got over it when my cat died when I was 4. Then I didn't care. Just make up an excuse and she will hopefully understand.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
tarantulakeeper
You don't mention how old your daughter is, but if she knows the rule I think you're SOL on this one. Otherwise she'll know the rules only apply when it's convenient for her parents. Maybe you need to have a family meeting and revisit the "rule". Good luck. John

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!