Tree frog (?) in the citrus trees - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
WebSlave
Tree frog (?) in the citrus trees

Today Connie and I were puttering around in one of our little citrus groves. She was putting down fertilizer and I was trimming off some dead branches, when I spotted this little critter just sitting on a leaf close to the trunk. I usually see green tree frogs around, but this one was kind of an unusual color, so I went on back to the house to grab the camera. Hey, I just bought a new camera, so give me even the slightest of reasons to use it!

Not sure what kind it is, but it may be a spring peeper of some sort. A fun find, regardless.

The white powdery stuff, btw, is pollen. It's been everywhere lately.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
Randall Turner
Great pix as usual. Maybe you should look at getting one of those belt holsters for your camera so you can just bring it with you no matter what you're up to.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
snowgyre
Was it about the size of a nickel? Looks like a spring peeper. Great shots!

Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 AM   #4
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
Great pix as usual. Maybe you should look at getting one of those belt holsters for your camera so you can just bring it with you no matter what you're up to.
Well, this Nikon D850 is quite a handful of camera to be toting around on a belt! Couple with the 105mm micro lens, bracket and two flashes I use for these closeup shots, I think I would need something more akin to a wheel barrel for it.

I'll have to take a pic of the rig to show what I mean.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:59 AM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Was it about the size of a nickel? Looks like a spring peeper. Great shots!
No, it was larger. More like 1.5 inches in length. About the size of a typical full sized green tree frog that we normally see around here in situations like this.

Thanks for the compliments on the shots.

I can feel that I am getting the still photography bug again. Been more interested in video for a while, and with dual purpose "bridge" cameras with fixed lens zooms integrated into them that takes decent video in a DSLR package. Not had much interest in my modular Nikon lenses I've had sitting in a cabinet for a bunch of years. Connie is already expressing concerns about becoming the "camera lens mule" for me like back in the old days. I'm looking hard at getting an ultra wide zoom lens that weights 2.4 lbs. (Heck, I might be too old now to lug around that kind of weight myself!) Just waiting to build the social security funds back up after being severely depleted by buying that camera.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
snowgyre
Ah, given that size it might be a pinewoods tree frog. The only real way to reliably identify the species is to look at the inner thigh pattern, if there are yellow spots it's pinewoods.

I got a new point-and-shoot for Christmas (a Fujifilm FinePix) that I'm excited to put through the motions. I've been too busy to take it out yet though. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks! I carry enough gear as it is in the woods that a proper photography build just would be too cumbersome, so I hear you there.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:18 AM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
I finally got around to taking a photograph of this latest camera rig I have been using for the closeup shots. The lens on the camera now (Nikkor 200mm micro lens) isn't the one I have been using before (Nikkor 105mm micro lens), as I had some pics to take that I needed more working space for. But honestly, I think I like the results from the 105mm better than this 200mm. Exposure just seems to be better, even though I think the 200mm might be a little bit sharper.

Anyway, this will show why some sort of holster won't really work for me to carry this around.

Honestly, I think I'm going to have to figure out a way to get 30 years younger just to be able to manage with this thing. It weighs a LOT! I'm thinking I may need to attach a monopod to it to help support it a bit. Of course, I guess it is good exercise working with this setup. I'll have Schwarzenegger arms in no time at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!