Best Thermostat for single rack? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 12-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
MattK
Best Thermostat for single rack?

I'm building my first rack for medium(4ft-6ft) snakes. I'm using 11inch flexwatt for back heat. What would be the most inexspensive and practical thermostat for this and where can i find it? So far the BAH-1000dc from big apple herp looks like it would be ideal. Just wondering if there are any better suited products?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
JHB1982
I'd check out the Newtek Alife 1000 w Thermostat. It runs a little less than the Big Apple Herp one and has a lot of satisified customers out there. It's simple to use and I have yet to hear anything bad about it. I think you can find some positive reviews elsewhere here on the classifieds as well too.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Tim Cole
I've been using Johnson Controls Thermostats from Reptile Basics for many years with no problems.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Focal
I'm using a ranco now, but I think a herpstat 2 would be great because I notice slight difference between my top shelf and bottom shelf. Two probes would help a lot IMO.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Cp3_Pythons
I agree with Nick (FocalX) on this one I run 2 thermostats well for 2 reasons but thats another story But yes two probes would help keep temps on the top and bottom shelf more at the same temp ( This is one reason why I run two thermostats)

Old 12-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
MattK
How much do those usually go for?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
JHB1982
The Alife Thermostats typically run less than $35.00 and as I said and many other satisfied users will agree, it's one of the best for the money.

Johnson's run from $80.00 to $105.00 depending on whether you are getting them pre-wired for night drop.

Ranco run from $60 to $150 depending on how they're wired and what model.

If you are ok spending the cash for a Johnson's or Ranco I would go ahead and spend a little extra for a top of the line Helix digital thermostat. Helix run in the $150 range and that includes the shipping.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
runyon_0509
I have a Herpstat ND. I believe you can pick up the green backlit Herpstat ND for about 130 shipped. The reviews and ratings for it were phenomenal. I dont know that I'll ever buy anything else. I give Spyder Robotics 5 stars. Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Focal
I found my Ranco new and unwired for about $52 shipped off eBay. Wiring it is super easy adn when you DIY, you can cut, trim and use power cords of your own choice. It's great.

Something about a herpstat just screams pro though. I love the feel and look. I should be getting another shot at a herpstat 2 today if the deal works out.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
runyon_0509
Having two probes wold be great. I wish i had considered that when i bought mine. I also think that the Herpstat II is able to handle a good deal more watts. Can you get steady temps with the ranco(and the people who have johnsons, or any other on/off control?) That was the deciding factor for me, I read that it was too hard to actually achieve and maintain the temperatures.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!