Question about babies and greens - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
a1littlesister
Question about babies and greens

Abbott and Costello will be 8 weeks old this week. Abbott which is the I'll try anything type has been eating his greens really good now for about 2 weeks. Costello still will not touch them. I feel he is old enough now that he should start eating them. I have tried kayle, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandylion greens and collard...he wont try any of them. I have mixed phoenix worms, wax worms and crickets in with it...he will pick them out and spit out the salad. I have tried dropping it down from the top so it looks like something moving...no good. I have gotten the juvenile dragon food, soaked it in apple juice, Abbott loves it...Costello..turns his nose up. Should I worry that he is not eating them or just keep trying and hope that he comes around sooner or later. He is a bit slower than his sibling...smaller and more timid so maybe slower developing taste for greens.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Alexa

Old 09-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
dragonchick88
Try seperating him from Abbott...he might feel intimidated by him and feel he doesnt have the priviledge to eat... try putting him into his own cage ( 20 gallon long preferably..maybe a 30 gallon to give alittle more room.) Some dragons put together can have troubles with each other knowing its kinda like a wolf pack, the one on the bottom of the hirarchy eats last so costello could be feelign this and not eat when abbott is near thinking he doesnt have the priviledge. Try seperating them, How much smaller is he anyway? If to small Abbott coudl attack him ( my fiances mother had 2 babies that where from the same clutch and she kept them together for a while and thougth that since they got along thing woudl be ok...unitl she cam home and the smaller ones head was gone...) just try this and let us know what happens...if nothing TAKE HIM TO THE VET just to be careful, he coudl be feelign a little in the dumps and you not know it...take a fecal sample in like a clear prescription bottle that you r not using so the vet can check for any pesticides inside him you cant see.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
a1littlesister
He is only about a inch smaller than Abbott now. He took on a grow spurt. He don't mind jumping up and taking crickets from Abbott when they are eating crickets. He can pack some crickets in...just will not eat greens. I was planning on seperating them when they are about 6 months old. I have them in a 55 gallon reptile tank now. That I thought would be good for one when they get that old. I have never seen any aggressive behavior between them. I know that will change when they get older. I do have a 20 gallon tank I can put him in a few days to see if he will start eating his greens. I will need to seperat them to get a sample so I will know which poop goes to who...I would like it checked out. I haven't done that yet because they seem so healthy. they are about 9.5" and 10.5" and will be 8 weeks old Friday. Not sure if that is small or just about right. Thanks for your suggestons Debra I'll try anything to get him to eat his salad.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
a1littlesister
He is only about a inch smaller than Abbott now. He took on a grow spurt. He don't mind jumping up and taking crickets from Abbott when they are eating crickets. He can pack some crickets in...just will not eat greens. I was planning on separating them when they are about 6 months old. I have them in a 55 gallon reptile tank now. That I thought would be good for one when they get that old. I have never seen any aggressive behavior between them. I know that will change when they get older. I do have a 20 gallon tank I can put him in a few days to see if he will start eating his greens. I will need to separate them to get a sample so I will know which poop goes to who...I would like it checked out. I haven't done that yet because they seem so healthy. they are about 9.5" and 10.5" and will be 8 weeks old Friday. Not sure if that is small or just about right. Thanks for your suggestons Debra I'll try anything to get him to eat his salad.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
Rebel Dragons
It's not uncommon for an 8 week old dragon to turn it's nose up at greens. I wouldn't panic. Just give it some time and I'm sure he will start to give them a try. You could always separate them and see what happens also. Nothing wrong with that advice.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
a1littlesister
Update on Costello and his greens...

I tried separating them for a couple of days and that didn't work. Actually Costello looked lost. So I put them back together. Yesterday he finally ate some greens. What I did was not feed it first thing in the morning. I gave them their crickets that morning...then skipped the mid day feeding. About a couple hrs. after I usually feed I put in some mustard greens and some Juvenal food soaked in apple juice. Abbott jumped in and started eating then next thing Costello followed in...he ate the mustard without spitting it out. I'm gonna try the same thing today and see. But he actually acted like it enjoyed them this time. Guess there is hope for my little guy after all..lol.

Also was wondering at what age are they when you can best tell what sex they are. I still don't know what they are.
Thanks
Alexa

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!