Do not use Provent-a-Mite with Natrix - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Occidentalis
Do not use Provent-a-Mite with Natrix

Hi all,

Just a warning!

Natrix natrix dies if you use PAM as directed. Not my first rodeo, used it plenty of times successfully before, but it only took 12 hours to go from eating out of my hand to dead for this species. I will continue to use the product, just not on Natrix. I guess someone had to learn the hard way. Very bummed. They didn't even have mites =(

Old 11-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
NocturnalNature
Well that sucks!
Sorry for your loss and thanks for posting to forewarn others of the possible dangers with this species.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Karma Kritters
Eastern Hognose are the same. Get it near them and it's over. Not sure about other members of the family.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Occidentalis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Kritters View Post
Eastern Hognose are the same. Get it near them and it's over. Not sure about other members of the family.
Wow really? I had only heard rumors about tree boas / pythons having issues.

Good information, thanks!

Old 11-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occidentalis View Post

Good information, thanks!
I used it with Madagascar tree boas without issues.
I sprayed it on paper towels, let them dry overnight and put them under an untreated layer of paper towels as a substrate. I wanted to avoid direct contact with the snakes (they were small at the time).

Old 11-28-2014, 03:15 AM   #6
NocturnalNature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Kritters View Post
I have used PAM as a preventative measure for an incoming shipment of Western Hognose youngsters. All animals tolerated the treatment very well and have been thriving for some time now.
Not sure why it would affect Easterns and not Westerns, but when dealing with PAM it seems following the instructions to the letter goes a long way in preventing an unfortunate outcome.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occidentalis View Post
I've used Provent a Mite for years for my QT with ATBs and never had any issues.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
JCCS
I've had to use it on an adult chondro and didn't have issues as well. I wouldn't use it with babies, though.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #9
pitbulllady
It's the same with North American Nerodia and Thamnophis. I found out that the hard way a few years ago, and wound up killing several Water Snakes and a big female Ribbon, but I've never had a problem using this product on other Colubrids or any Boids.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!