My New Savannah - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
AGoodwin
Talking My New Savannah

This is my baby savannah monitor, Savannah! I got him/her Sunday at the New England Reptile Expo.

This is my first monitor, and my first really large lizard. I have done quite a bit of research but would like some opinions on various care topics.

From reading it looks like he/she should have lots of bugs, and as soon as he is big enough to handle them, I should also start feeding him/her appropriately sized rodents. Should his bugs be dusted with calcium? Also, as far as the amount of rodents in his/her diet I have not found a consistent number. I am seeing anywhere from 1-4 rodents and as often as every day to once a week. Any suggestion on what I should go with?

I am finding mixed opinions on eggs, both raw and hard boiled. Some say good, some say bad. Whats the consensus here?

I saw looking at prepared savannah monitor food that there was a considerable vegetable content. I do not plan on using prepared foods, but it made me wonder, do I need to feed him/her fresh fruits/veggies? If so, what and how much? I never saw them mentioned on any online care sheets.

Sexing. I read that they cant be sexed until 1-2 years of age. Is this true?

Growth Rate:

Right now he/she is in a 20L until he is a little bigger, then he/she will go into a 55gal. About how long until he/she outgrows the 55gal and will need to be moved to a larger permanent enclosure? Just curious when I should start getting plans together and beginning construction.

Any additional things I should know about my new friend? Any tips (other than frequent handling) for raising him/her into a well mannered gentle giant?
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
oskyle1567
She/He looks awesome great pickup and good looking monitor! Ive heard they get to be like big puppy dogs when they get older.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #3
Ed Clark
Good luck with your gorgeous monitor.you will be surprised how fast it will grow.make sure to add plenty of calcium to its food.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
Ed Clark
Instead of moving into a 55 gallon tank you might want to consider moving into a 4ft x 2ft cage with a basking light also a UVB light.probably cost about the same.

I feed all my baby savannahs ground turkey as part of their varied diet.babies will gobble up crickets,super worms and roaches.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
AGoodwin
I already have a spare 55g tank, that's why I will be using that. I do have a UVB light for him. He loves crickets! He is so cute thrashing them around. Its really cute when one jumps into his water and he dives in to get it.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
AGoodwin
Another thing I was wondering is I saw a few people that feed them whole fish, like feeder fish. What do you guys think of this?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
Ed Clark
Don't think I would feed a Savannah fish especially feeder fish,no doubt they will eat them but it is a poor diet for an insect eating monitor. some feed canned dog food which is also another poor diet. rodents should be fed sparingly as they have a very high fat content that will make your monitor an obese unhealthy fattie.

The key is a varied diet consisting of mainly insects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodwin View Post
Another thing I was wondering is I saw a few people that feed them whole fish, like feeder fish. What do you guys think of this?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Chris Wilkinson
Please no feeder fish

I've rased all kinds of tropical fish in my time and the chemicals they use to treat fish these days are highly toxic and even dangerous to handle and will in time contribute to the early death of your baby. I would consider following the care sheets you will find on this forum. They are well thought out and are alway being modified as new information comes forth. Take care and good luck. Chris Wilkinson

Old 04-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
AGoodwin
I don't know what you are referring to as far as chemicals. When I had fish, the only chemicals I used were aqua safe to de-chlorinate the water and If I had snails, I added calcium to the water (Neither of those are dangerous considering we dust insects with calcium and there are products similar to aqua safe marketed for use with reptiles). The only exception was if I had live plants. Then I would also add O2 and fertilizer. I suppose the fertilizers could be potentially harmful.

I'm not saying this means that fish should be fed, as this does not change the nutritional value. I'm just saying that chemicals shouldn't affect their use.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Chris Wilkinson
wrong assumption get out of the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodwin View Post
I don't know what you are referring to as far as chemicals. When I had fish, the only chemicals I used were aqua safe to de-chlorinate the water and If I had snails, I added calcium to the water (Neither of those are dangerous considering we dust insects with calcium and there are products similar to aqua safe marketed for use with reptiles). The only exception was if I had live plants. Then I would also add O2 and fertilizer. I suppose the fertilizers could be potentially harmful.

I'm not saying this means that fish should be fed, as this does not change the nutritional value. I'm just saying that chemicals shouldn't affect their use.
you have no idea what importers and breeders use before you get them. I've worked with several importers and this is the basic list of chemicals used to reduces stress realted dieases. I've had to mix several compounds to treat hundreds of tropical fish before shipping.

Methyene Blue Toxic carcinogen handle with care no direct exposure to skin
Dimethylamino Toxic carcinogen handle with care no direct exposure to sking in powder form use a reporator when mixing
Phenylbenzyidene Toxic carcinogen handle with care. in powder form use a resporator when mixing
Cyclohexadien Toxic carcinogen handle with care
Xylidene Toxic carcinogen handle with care.

Thses are just th basic chemical load fish will have in there system and flesh forever and is transmitted directly to anything feed them. Not bad if you feed them to another fish. If there exotic then all bets are off as in foreign countries they do not have the restrictions and what chemicals you can use and buy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!