Do Boa's shed before birthing?? Memorial day birth !! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
allreptiles1966
Lightbulb Do Boa's shed before birthing?? Memorial day birth !!

Me female is due in the middle of the week coming up.Right now she is in the blue and i am just checking to see if this is normal. My females did not do this last year so i am a bit confused at the moment. Newbie stuff.
Will shedding make her weak for birthing? Will she even want to shed her skin if she is ready to drop?
Thank you
Rich

Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
Me female is due in the middle of the week coming up.Right now she is in the blue and i am just checking to see if this is normal. My females did not do this last year so i am a bit confused at the moment. Newbie stuff.
Will shedding make her weak for birthing? Will she even want to shed her skin if she is ready to drop?
Thank you
Rich
I had a female 2 years ago shed just days before dropping a litter of 24. They don't always have POS and I have on more than one occasion heard of females shedding or NOT shedding at odd times during ovulation & pregnancy. They don't read the "boa books", they do what mother nature has intended for them to do. Best of luck!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
allreptiles1966
Good deal Jeremy. Thanks for taking the time man.
I am like an anxious dad waiting.I notice everything different and hate the way they act some times. Found them in very odd positions which made me touch them to make sure they were still alive. lol. Its a little stressful not knowing whats going on all the time.I'm still learning and have lots of it to do.
Again,thanks for your wisdom.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
mxracer4life
Quote:
Good deal Jeremy. Thanks for taking the time man.
I am like an anxious dad waiting.I notice everything different and hate the way they act some times. Found them in very odd positions which made me touch them to make sure they were still alive. lol. Its a little stressful not knowing whats going on all the time.I'm still learning and have lots of it to do.
Again,thanks for your wisdom.
Wanna know something that makes things interesting? Document what you find different with each female. I keep a record on my jump drive of all sorts of things I notice. It's good to look back on and be like, oh, I remember that.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
allreptiles1966
Its funny you mention this. I started writting things down a couple months ago to keep records.I need to know so much and there being so many opinions out there that keeping records is most important.Although, that will take some years to gather it all and then i'm sure it wont be "all". Iv'e had a couple freaky looking things.
I thought she was gonna drop 2 days ago as she was very unconfortable looking.She had her head sideways and tucked over her tail and her mouth opened a bit.1st i think,is she having them or sick? I dont think sick. She is not wheezing,no spittle or any noises.I think she just wants them out and to eat.They have to be close,her tail area is looking bigger like they are moving down.I dont know the process,so just a guess.
My other 2 are taking it good so far,but the one due 1st is still 5 weeks off.She actually wanted to eat last week,so i fed her.A small lg rat and being honest,i wished i hyad tried to give her a medium,but she is 7' so i went with a large.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
mxracer4life
Sometimes they can easily look like they are going to drop ANY time at this point, but truthfully, they start to look a little better in some cases just before dropping. As the babies absorb the yolk they will go down in size most of the time, or at least this is what I have observed.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
I notice everything different and hate the way they act some times. Found them in very odd positions which made me touch them to make sure they were still alive. lol.

I do that too - it's like a moment of panic, touch, and then sigh of relief.

I've never had one shed right before birth, but as Jeremy said, they all seem to do things differently sometimes. Make a note and see if next time you breed her, she does the same thing. I have one female, every time, she sheds right in the middle of gestation.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
allreptiles1966
So true April. I know the sigh of relief. I did note her shedding and will look to see if she does it again the next time. It will most likely be 2 years,which is a bummer because i want to know now.lol

So they absorb the yolk in the last week or so? Or last couple days? When you see babies with big stomachs,does that mean they are premature? I have seen some like this is pics,mine did not have that last year.They had just a small piece of embilical cord and maybe a little piece of yellow stuff.Which i would assume is the yolk?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
allreptiles1966
Well Jeremy,my female is deflating and has stretched out last night and is not staying on the heat like she did for the last few months.She is due on Wednesday if my count is right.Fingers crossed.
Heres dad,an 08 low expession coral sunglow.Dont want to take pic of mom right now.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
mxracer4life
The do absorb the yolk all the way near the end and when they are born with the big bellies they are a tad immature. Sounds like your girl is about to drop ANYTIME! Make sure and get us pictures!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!