cleaning ans sanitizing... what do you use???? any strange husbandry techniques? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-26-2004, 03:36 AM   #1
robin d.
cleaning ans sanitizing... what do you use???? any strange husbandry techniques?

personally i use bleach most of the time... i also from time to time use rocal. we here are very anal about the possibility of cross contamination so we have a very strict cleaning and husbandry regimen. a spray bottle of alcohol is always presenbt to disinfect hands as well as latex gloves when treating anyone with a wound, illness and also when probing. we have our hemos and tweezers in alcohol when not being used and disinfect our hooks after each use....

Old 02-26-2004, 10:30 AM   #2
hill4803
just picked up virusan

I just bought virusan from proexotics, it was shipped fast. It seems to work great. I use it for my snakes, frogs & gecko cages. There is no strong odor & it does the trick. This stuff is supposed to be vet recommended and I have no reason to believe otherwise. Check it out.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:24 AM   #3
Designerboas
I have used virosan exclusively in my snake room for about 2 years. The gallon of concentrate goes a long way. I even use it in my clorox spray mop to do the floors. I have had no ill effects or problems since using it.

Old 03-01-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
Tim Cole
Thumbs up Cleaner

I have been using Nolvasan for about 10 years. Since then I have not encountered any viral or bacterial diseases in my collection. It's also very good for healing minor cuts or scrapes. One gallon lasts me about 2 years and I maintain over 100 animals.

Old 03-06-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
Sunshines2day
Nolvasan(chloahexiderm) or bleach with.......

WhenI use bleach as a disinfectant I always follow it with an Amquel rince to detoxify the bleach.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:07 AM   #6
MGReptiles
Viscon all the way, you can tell it works when you boa goes poo and then you spray the cage and it elimates the oders.

Old 07-01-2004, 03:09 AM   #7
robin d.
where can you get Nolvasan is its concentrated form? iv looked everywhere i can think... maybe im just mssing it? i have heard great things about it but have yet to use it... the only problem with rocal is you have to rinse it VERY well, it can be toxic if not diluted enough and not rinsed well .... it comes vet recomended but like i said it does have some drawbacks

Old 07-01-2004, 09:39 AM   #8
MGReptiles
You can get it at the bean Farm

Old 07-01-2004, 10:02 AM   #9
Tim Cole
Thumbs up

I get mine from my vet for $30 a gallon of concentrate. 1 gallon lasts me a couple of years and I have a large collection.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:24 AM   #10
jenn_jeffery
I also get the Nolvasan/Chlorohexadine from my vets office. I buy the generic form which is of course the same thing, for $22/ gallon I believe it is. It's been awhile since I've had to buy any, so that could be off a bit. I do buy it though my normal (dog/cat) vet, and not the reptile vet...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!