help! possible broken arm? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
geckogrl6
help! possible broken arm?

When I got home last night, my little SH baby had a problem w one of the front legs. the elbow joint is red/bruised, and he wont put any weight on it. Not sure what could have caused this. He is in a tank w/4 other babies, but there have been no fights. The highest thing in the cage is an inch high, so I dont think he fell. Anyway, no vets open today to deal w/herps. Anything I can do in the meantime? Tape it straight? Leave him be? He did eat OK last night, was still chasing crix and all, but on three legs. Im, assuming I need an xray. right?

Old 05-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
montezuma
Sounds to me as if there is a vitamin (calcium specifically) deficiency which is resulting in soft bones. There is not much you can do but provide it with nutrient filled crickets by gut loading and dusting. You should also have some available at all times. I would put a gatorade cap full of calcium and one full of Herptivite or Miner-al.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
Golden Gate Geckos
broken leg/arm

After over 10 years of raising Leopard Geckos, I just had an adult take a flying leap and actually break a leg. My vet said they usually heal on their own without a splint, and advised me to house her where she couldn't climb on anything and give her NeoCalglucon (liquid calcium) daily for a couple of weeks. Her front 'ankle/wrist' is all swollen and looks like a Popeye arm... skinny at the top, and huge at the bottom. I feel terrrible because it was really my fault, but it really doesn't seem to bother her too much.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:22 PM   #4
Sunset Gecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma
Sounds to me as if there is a vitamin (calcium specifically) deficiency which is resulting in soft bones. There is not much you can do but provide it with nutrient filled crickets by gut loading and dusting. You should also have some available at all times. I would put a gatorade cap full of calcium and one full of Herptivite or Miner-al.
I agree, make sure she gets plenty of calcium and she should gradually get better.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
geckogrl6
Jeez! She's got a dish of pure calc all the time, and Im dusting every feeding w/ Herptivite. All 4 of her cagemates are doing well. And the only thing for her to climb on is the hide, which is like an inch high! Guess I will take her in for some liquid calcium though, just to be sure.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
montezuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
After over 10 years of raising Leopard Geckos, I just had an adult take a flying leap and actually break a leg. My vet said they usually heal on their own without a splint, and advised me to house her where she couldn't climb on anything and give her NeoCalglucon (liquid calcium) daily for a couple of weeks. Her front 'ankle/wrist' is all swollen and looks like a Popeye arm... skinny at the top, and huge at the bottom. I feel terrrible because it was really my fault, but it really doesn't seem to bother her too much.
Doesn't the terrible gut feeling just compounded when it's your fault and not something the gecko did on it's own! I hope it gets better, and you too... it happens!

Old 06-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
geckogrl6
update on broken arm

Well, to all you doubters, the vet has confirmed the break. I did not need an xray, he actually basically candled the joint. He said there was too much blood in the elbow for it not to be trauma-related. Bad genes may have played a part in bone frailty, but this is not just a calcium problem. He says the only way he could think of how it broke was that a nail snagged the paper towel? I contend it was an accidental run-in w/the glass. Not sure. He would not give me liquid calcium, but told me to cut back on the D3, and a UVB for 1/2 hr a day, does not need to be isolated, and first tried to glue the elbow in place, and ended up putting some stiff tape on it. Back in a week at which point he can deal with the shed and how it impacts w/"tissue glue". Not sure right now if Im satified with the treatment. I just hope it does heal ok, and he is walking on it again soon.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
montezuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckogrl6
but this is not just a calcium problem.
Well, call me a friggin idiot but the last time I checked bones are mainly composed of calcium (and phosphorus)

Old 06-03-2005, 09:23 PM   #9
geckogrl6
indeed they are. Which is why I asked for some liquid. What i posted was that it was not just a calcium problem. In a way I'm glad, b/c if there had not been whatever trauma caused the break in the first place, I would have thought that my dusting and dish regimine was sufficient. But both vet and I agree, there was some sort of trauma that actually caused the break, not just a stress fracture.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!